Conrad-Johnson PV-10BL A/V Preamplifier

Conrad Johnson PV-10BL Preamplifier

Submitted by gintveld a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2009

Bottom Line:
This pre-amp is by far the best I've ever owned. My list dates back to the Quad 44, then Sugden C28, Linn Wakonda, Linn Kairn, Krell KRC-2 and now this beautiful machine. This is in a completely different league than the ones I've used before. There's so much more air. And the harshness of solid state is gone completely. I'm using it to feed my Krell KSA 50s which feeds large Linn speakers. I'm using Linn LP12 (full blown) and Linn Kivor/Oktal harddisk system as the sources. I've never had such a big upgrade with so little money. In fact, the KRC-2 was more expensive.....

Submitted by kes4927 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2007

Bottom Line:
Having owned a Bottlehead Foreplay 2 for about a year, I was interested in trying something different (upgrade fever you know). I was planning on getting something with a HT bypass and remote control and then I saw this on Audiogon and thought I'd give it a try.

I was afraid this might be a lateral move but after listening to it for a few months I am happy I made the purchase.

The PV10BL gives a much more three dimensional sound than the Foreplay. Doing A/B comparisons, the CJ seems more liquid and the bass is more "there". I still have the Foreplay as a backup but the CJ has become the main act. I am using it with an Aragon 2004 MkII, Magnepan MG12s and original Rega Planet.

I know there are better tube preamps out there, but for the money I think this is a lot of bang for the buck.

Purchased At:   Audiogon