Citation 7.0 A/V Preamplifier

AVP with 6 axix surround

Submitted by Kjell a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2011

Bottom Line:
I have an old Citation 7.0 and looking for a newer preamp who is great at 2chanel and movies but it seams impossible to find a preamp better on 2 channel than this .. atleast in my pricerange ..
Perhaps a meridian 861 but the price ...

Submitted by Gary F a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought this via Ebay over two years ago and meant to post a review when I had made my final upgrade for my speakers which has delayed until late this year. How do describe the sound of the Citation 7.0 it is simply, to my ears, the best analog preamp I have heard, I also have a Harman Kardon signature 2.0 which is also very good, but this to me is simply in another league, th eplacement of instrument vocals is second to none in regard to other pre amps I have auditioned, the sound itself is ' liquid', so smooth, bass is to die for, but the mid range and treble is clean and extended, I will not have to change to another pre amp again. So my advice to anyone considering this outstanding piece of equipment to buy it quick and don't look back.
It is a steal at the prices you can get this for now.

Submitted by Joe Williams a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have only used this for 2 channel audiophile listening. I don't even know how the other features work.
I would call it articulate... Tight deep bass, smooth natural mids and accurate top end. Nothing to fault here. a musical preamp with a nice transparent Sound stage. You could do alot worst just for 2 channel and they tell me this does a phenominal job for home theater.

Submitted by dsmith901 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2010

Bottom Line:
In the constant and ongoing search for "better" sound,I keep moving preamps and AVPs in and out of my system and every time I move them back out and return to my Citation 7.0. I have heard the definition of "crazy" is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. So I guess I am crazy thinking I am going to find a better preamp than the 7.0, when in fact it appears nothing out there at any price is going to surpass it Maybe it is the audiophile version of the grass looking greener on the other side of the street. I have no other rationale for my repeated attempts to do what appears impossible. Anyway, after recently trying and passing on the Bel Canto Pre2 (a very nice preamp really) I think maybe I have finally learned my lesson. High fidelity audio is ultimately a personal journey and each of us has to decide what moves us in our listening and what does not. That said, the Citation 7.0 is simply, to my ears, the best analog preamp I have heard or (it seems) hope to hear . So here now I belatedly add myself to the list of 7.0 admirers and offer my advice to anyone considering this outstanding piece of equipment to buy it quick and don't look back.

Submitted by goldear63 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2005

Bottom Line:
Trying to keep up with technology is an endless battle...and sometimes, not always a winning one. I purchased my original 7.0 back in 1996, and while I loved it, I was eventually drawn into the digital age. Fortunately, I was lucky to take part in Madrigal's upgrade program, trading my Citation in for their new Proceed AVP.

While the AVP was a wonderful piece as well, it just didn't have the analog/logic steering properties of the Citation that I had grown accustomed to. Thankfully, a local seller afforded me the oppurtunity to reaquire another Citation, which I promptly added to my system alongside my AVP.

On my further quest for a one-box solution to the digital/analog problem, I have gone through a number of quality preamp processors. Eventually dumping the AVP, I tried out an EAD, Lexicon MC-1, a recently disposed of Parasound Halo C2...and now, a Lexicon MC-12 that sits on my shelf, next to my Citation.

Through all my ventures, including my time with the MC-12, I've discovered that there is little out there than can match the Citation for 2-channel analog music or even analog surround sound. While the discrete formats are also great..and sound fantastic on my Lexicon, I still prefer Redbook CD on the Citation

While I often choose DD/DTS for movies over most matrix devices, 6-Axis still shines on those sources that have weak or poor recordings...including a lot of older movies that have been remastered in so-called 5.1. With the advent of DPLII(x) and the legacy of Logic-7, there are obviously other choices as well...but in my opinion, with the analog flexibility and stability of 6-Axis, it is still one of the best available.

Its ability to extract and resolve low-frequency without sounding bloated is remarkable. Not to metion the pristine mids and highs presented in great detail. And unlike other matrices that still suffer from complicated recordings, 6-Axis is incredibly accurate with little to no pumping or leakage. The Citation is staying for now.

Purchased At:   Private/Local