Citation 5.0 A/V Preamplifier

3.7/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $3450.00

Submitted by James Martin a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2011

Bottom Line:
Not sure of the exact year that I purchased the Citation 5.0 AV but when I got it I mainly used analog interconnects. It wasn't until years afterwards that I started using digital hookups. I wanted to cash in on the technology that I thought my Citation 5.0 had, i.e., Dolby Digital and DTS. Boy was I in for a supprise. Ever since then I have had nothing but problems. I became well aquianted with the manual book. The problem was this; whenever I used my Citation 5.0 for an extended period of time my audio(sound) would disappear and then return mysteriouly. And this only happened when I used the digital inputs, coaxial or toslink(optical). I sent it off (unfortunately after the warranty was over) to Audio Labs to have it checked out. Sent it twice! Guess what? You guessed it, I'm still having the same problem. I lab said it could not find any problem with it. Hmmm. Well I got so disguested with the Cit 5.0 that I went out and bought another unit, Onkyo TX-NR 3007 . As unfortunate as it may sound I had to send the Onkyl off to be serviced as well. However, that problem was caused by me. So while I was waiting for the Onkyl to fixed I pulled out the Citation 5.0. And as a result this has now caused me to write this review. The old problems have resurfaced and it frost my butt to no end. I would appreciate any help that anyone could give. Thanks.

Submitted by capernicus a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2005

Bottom Line:
If anybody is a hard credit about anything it is me. And i really played with this unit until I decided it was just a piece of over priced junk. But wait. Its not cause it didnt sound good. Its cause the unit didnt do what you told it to do. First of all the unit looks cool. It went perfect with the rest of the Citation amps I had. The sound was very clear and detailed. Some of you may say Bass and treble controls are enough to tailor the sound of any speaker. Thats bull. Back in the day units came with Bass Midrange and Treble. This unit has NO controls which sucks. The best it can do is a bass eq like a boost and something like a re eq of a THX processor for the Highs. The remote hardly ever worked. I found later after buying the unit that all Harmom Kardon products (even todays units) still suffer from poor remote control capability. I had the latest upgrade and it still didnt work right. The sound would sometimes pop when switching between surround modes. the unit stayed hot. But It sounded sweet like I said but at what expense would you take? I had to get up sometimes and manually change the setting cause the remote wouldnt change anything. The company said it wasnt the remote, rather it was the unit that had problems thinking of what information it was recieving and couldnt decide what to do with it! The coolest thing about the unit was the stereo mode cause it has stereo subwoofers plus a good crossover for mains and sub. These days to get a stereo with sub out you have to spend big bucks. Then if you want stereo subwoofers you need to ask for a miracle. Why? its not hard to make. The surround modes sounded great. I tried the 6 axis mode on all kinds of songs and movies. I found it sucked. The center channel sounded about 6 db lower than the other channels even when calibrated with pink noise. DD was fine. All the other modes played great. 6 Axis just sounded like a glorified all stereo mode where the surrounds had echo effect on them. To be honest the prologic sounded better than 6 axis. And I had a model with no bugs according to Harmon! Thast just the way it was suppose to sound they said! I think people subconsciencely wanted to justify the high price so they stated the 6 axis was awesome. LOl save your money. Buy a new Yamaha system. This thing is a pain in the bung hole. Trust me you will sell it a month after you buy it. Everyone else here said the same thing. The programming is all wack.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by filecat13 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
After deciding a Lexicon MC-1 or perhaps an MC-12 was going to be my major move to upgrade my HT, I stumbeld on an old review online about the Citation 5.0. Intrigued by the possibilities, I jumped at the chance to purchase one locally through ebay. I have no regrets and am enjoying saving thousands of dollars.

Madrigal has been super in helping me by sending me a PDf of the manual and getting me the 1.55 eprom software upgrade ($20) to help me through an otherwise totally inscrutible set up experience. Thank goodness I asked the seller about the remote and he found it before I left!

The 5.0 immediately improved every one of my HT pieces, except my DVD player, which now has to go. By adding a Monster Power 5000 Conditioner at the same time, my SharpVision LCD picture is improved 100%.

Set up was mind blowing (in a bad way) using the installed 1.54 software, but with 1.55, life is good. The DTS and DD services are fantastic and Axis-6 is unreal. Party mode, however, is the bomb when doing karaoke (don't smirk at me. I'm NOT an audiophile).

Overall sound improvement is notable even to my aging, nonaudiophile ears. The high end especially is improved, and the low end is tighter and more tonally specific. Midrange will knock you on your rear if you don't watch out.

Based on the money saved, flexibility of the unit, excellent support on the used unit even aftter discontinuation, and the wonderfully clean sound, I give it two 5s. Did I mention that it's attractive, clean, and simple on the rack, too?

Citation 5.0
Soundcraftsmen PCR-800 amps (4 of 'em)
JBL L7 (4)
JBL L5 (2)
JBL SVA 1800 (center)
AudioSource Passive Sub
SharpVision XV120ZU
Sanyo LD/Karaoke (really!)
Pioneer DVL700
Panasonic S-VHS HiQ VCR
DD/DTS DVD/CD player (name withheld)
Monster Power Reference 5000

Submitted by Arlette a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
Simply Great sound,
I had always liked fosgate products (pre-Citation) and decided to go back and try out a Citation. I was looking at Citation 7.0's (to be used with a separate digital decoder) but the lure of dolby-digital, DTS and a digital 6-axis encoder in one box for an extra couple of hundred of dollars managed to sway me to the Citation 5.0.
Setting the unit up is straight forward and simple, no problems what-so-ever and it has worked faultlessly for me. The sound is awesome with great clear highs and powerful tight bass, stereo Sub pre-outs are a welcome addition. You simply become totally immersed in whatever you are watching/listening to. Wonderful stuff.

The only real downside to all this is the inter-action between the remote/front panel buttons and the Citation 5.0, sometimes it responds instantly and at other times it can take a second or two to acknowledge a command. Not a terrible flaw but annoying on an otherwise great product.

Submitted by sultangary a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
Pros: Very clean sounding. Maybe as clean as Ive heard. Nice looking unit.
Cons: A nightmare to set up. They had to work at making this as difficult as it is. It has a habit of forgetting its settings so you have to reset things. The bass response is very weak. What bass it produces is very nice but it cant produce the punch that the original recordings intended.
If you dont care about geat (not strong overpowering) but just great tight bass this is as good as it gets for the price. The highs are as clean as it gets. Be prepared for a lot of stress when setting it up, though. The setup difficulty alone is worth a full point off the rating. The weak bass is worth another point. Since you can pick these up for less than $1000 I would only take one pont off for value. I would rather give it a 3.5 overall but cant so it gets a 3 because of the 2 major flaws

Purchased At:   eBay

fluance or energy 5.0 with polk sub

I really like the looks of the fluance but I know in the future I will have to get a sub. I read great reviews on the energy 5.0. Both systems will end up costing about the same. Any input into a decision would be great. thanks in advanceRead More »

Emotiva 5.0 System, Great Deal!

You might know that I am a big bang for the buck audio-nut (that sounds much better to me than audiophile). I just got done placing an order with Emotiva for their XPA-5 amplifier at a great holiday special price with free shipping ($699 ... their LPA-7 is on special also at $599). While I was the ... Read More »

Star Trek 0.5

I guess you'd have to call it a prequel cause you see how they start out, at least in this version of reality. I don't want to give away any spoilers so I'll just talk about the film in general terms. 1. I loved it. As a guy who saw ST Original in "real time", I can say that this effin film rule ... Read More »

Red River Shootout and the 5-0 Bengals!!

So the big matchup at the Cotton Bowl has some interesting stories carrying it in. TX is playing at the OK role this time - the team with the actual shot at the title. But OK is playing from the perspective of 5 straight over a tx team that was 'supposed' to beat them a couple of those times. Is ... Read More »

ITunes 5.0?

I read a warning on another board that they downloaded the new version of ITunes & in the process they lost their library & playlists. The music files weren't knocked off the computer, but they had to rebuild the lists from scratch, which would be a drag. Easy enough to back up those data files, of ... Read More »

CSB 1206 BLK: