Arcam P75 Power Amplifier A/V Preamplifier

50 watts per channel

Submitted by Marcos a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2004

Bottom Line:
I'll review the P75+ as part of my A75+/P75+ that I am currently using to drive my Spendor S5e speakers. I purchased the A75+ on Ebay for about $475 and found it to be an excellent compliment to the Spendors - very smooth with a beautiful "hanging in space" quality to well-recorded female vocals like Jane Monheit. Perhaps - perhaps a bit soft on top, but far preferable to those "detailed" amps that will tear your head off on anything but the most perfect recordings. No thanks - been there, done that. Anyway, a P75+ comes up on Ebay for $350 and I jump on it to biamp the speakers. Well, I cannot tell you how much things improved. The detail of the top end increased 100%, but without any grain or harshness. I guess the A75+ clipped a bit on its own, which closed down the top end a bit. With a dedicated amp for the tweeter, the waveform always remained unclipped, which means smoother and more detailed sound. I've listened to a lot of expensive amps and I honestly feel the A/P75+ combo can hang with the best, all factors considered. Detail without harshness, smooth, but not dull. I don't know if these amps are still available, but if you own any Arcam integrated, pick up a P75+ for the tweeters and enjoy the difference.

Purchased At:   Ebay