Anthem AVM 20 A/V Preamplifier

4.7/5 (37 Reviews) MSRP : $3199.00

The THXR Ultra certified AVM 20 now includes both Home THX¨ Cinemaª and the breathtaking sound of THX¨ Surround EXª, with additional rear left and right outputs in both Balanced XLR and single-ended RCA connections, for up to 7.1 channels of sound.

Also of extreme importance to audiophiles fully versed in the newest audio formats, is the AVM 20's capability to perform full bass-management on all DVD Audio and multi-channel SACD recordings. Previous to this, many home theater processors that offer analog direct bypass connections for these new audio formats, did not enable the user to control the low and high pass crossover frequencies, speaker setup sizes, or subwoofer settings.

All of the newest, high resolution video formats are also supported as the AVM 20 is able to support all resolutions up to and including 1080p, Progressive scan, High Definition Video switching with no video degradation as a result of its ultra-wide bandwidth to 100MHz.

Submitted by Tinger a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have the V2.21 software which added some new features from the original.

Simply amazing product with great clarity and processing. Wonderful, effortless listening with tremendous soundstage, especially on chamber music or orchestral material. Great bass management and a terrific music processing (Anthem proprietary) which adds bass management for 2 channel sources. HT modes work extremely well, and the video switching works perfectly.

While it's 2009, and this is "just" a DD 5.1/DTS processor, it's hard to imagine ever needing to upgrade.

Previous processor was Rotel RSP-976 and this just blows the Rotel out of the water.

Submitted by lip a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2005

Bottom Line:
I've had the AVM 20 for several months now and it has performed wonderfully. The versatility, ease of use and setup, and most of all, the sound quality make this an unbelievable bargain.

I've gone through many of my old recordings and it's like listening to them new all over again. I now hear low level details that I hadn't heard before.
I can make out lyrics that I couldn't before.

But beware, it is incredibily revealing. If your audio source was poorly mastered or recorded, you will hear it.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Video_8 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is not hte AVM 20 but the newer Anthem D1 Statement, newest model 2004. Out of the box, nice looking piece of equipement, stylish and very open sounding stage with dual processor.. very well built. I nice unit. A bit pricier thant the AVM 20, or what will replace it, AVM 30. Just about 1300$ CDN more

Purchased At:   Canadian dollar boug

Submitted by acelovesjack a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2004

Bottom Line:
Great overall product. The detail on dvd soundtracks is absolutely amazing. Musically it's great on sacd and dvd audio, but not as good on analog. I have a Project 1.2 turntable hooked up to the aux input through a Parasound phono-preamp, and while the sound is better than it was with my old Yamaha receiver, it still isn't as good as with my sacd's. The AVM seems to hold back just a little. TV broadcasts, especially in two channel mode really kick. Everything is audible, even background dialoge. I had an upgrade done just a little over a year ago,and to me this is one of the unit's biggest strengths, that it is not outdated whenever a new audio format hits. Plus it can run two other zones. I have the black unit and I think it looks beautiful. A previous reviewer complained that the rears only worked with 5.1 sound or higher. Not true. Simply switch to all channel stereo and all the speakers except the center channel work. It's nice to hear voices coming from behind you especially at night when other people are sleeping and you have to keep the volume at a lower level. Listening with headphones is also top notch. This unit offers a lot of bang for the buck.

Purchased At:   6th ave

Submitted by zenfishbike a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2004

Bottom Line:
Against many audiophiles' warnings I couldn't resist the rave reviews on the AVM20 and jumped on one thinking it was the first up-to-date pre/pro that didn't compromise music. WRONG. Darn. I hate when that happens. Suckered by hype again!

No question this unit is sweet in theater mode as others have elaborate so well. I only wish to say that my simple Linn Classik CD/preamp and Marantz DV8400 when run through the AVM20 sound like their heads got chopped off. Channeling them directly to the amps returns the magic.

I'm going to limp along with the AVM20 until Linn comes out with their next generation pre/pro at a reported $5-$6k and then another Anthem will hit eBay.

Purchased At:   Canadian HiFi

anthem avm 20

I have a anthem avm 20 and was wondering which of my 2 channel amps would be the better one to use with. I have a solid state hafler xl280 which I beleive is 155wpc and a tube counterpoint sa12 which is rated 85wpc. I am wondering which will have more power and which will sound best with the anthe ... Read More »

SFLAT: