Adcom GTP-750 A/V Preamplifier

2.89/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $2000.00

Dolby Digital Preamp.

Submitted by Menosh Hakim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2004

Bottom Line:
Problems since day one. Adcom doesnt know the meaning of customer service.Shouldnt market the products if they cant give tech. support. Its a piece of garbage.
$2500 down the drain.The design is pathetic. So many component failures one after another. Spent $800 so far. My advice is to stay away from Adcom..its the same company anymore.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Kromer radio

Submitted by Dean Neilsen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
Not impressed with my 750 it just packed in.I have my dvd hooked up through my unit with bitstream and S video it keeps locking up. it started about 2 weeks ago, i thought something was wrong with my DVD but no its the video side of my new 750.

Purchased At:   A&B Sound

Submitted by Graham a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
Hey I dealt with Dani too at Adcom... If I owned the company that would be the first upgrade I would do. She was next to useless well OK worse than useless. I dont want to feel like I am being a pain to a company I just purchased a 2000 dollar unit from when it doesn't work. That alone was enough to turn me off Adcom for now, which is a shame because they used to have a good rep. Our local hi end store will be dropping Adcom and going with B&K

Submitted by Graham a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
I wanted this to work... This unit came defective and the customer support at Adcom was on a scale of 1-10 about a 2.. I was very unhappy with them. The GTP750 made strange noises when it being switched on and it just died after 2 weeks. I will say this... I was surprized at the way Adcom handled this. They have a good rep for a reason but I heard they were just bought out... sigh another one bites the dust I would tell anyone else to wait until the dust clears on the buy-out before getting a GTP 750 When it did work the sound was clear .. no coloring but also the GTP 750 is not made in the USA so I think the QC leaves something to be desired

Purchased At:   Stereo Planet

Submitted by Dave Chever a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
About one year ago, I decided to enter the home theater age of digital surround sound. I wanted to purchase something in the two thousand dollar or less range. After some research, I narrowed my choices to Rotel, the Acurus Act III, Marantz, and Adcom. I had read the numerous complaints about the Adcom GTP 740 posted on this website and decided on trading my GTP 600 in for the Act III which received more positive reviews. While auditioning the Acurus at Progressive Audio, a local high-end establishment, the salesperson there suggested that I should, also, give the then new GTP 750 a listen. After sharing with him the issues that I had heard concerning the 740, he assured me that the 750 was an improvement over its predecessor and that he even thought that it had a better sound than the Acurus. With some hesitation, I decided to give it a listen and to my surprise, it did sound better than the Act III. I was still somewhat hesitant because other reviewers had complained about the reliability factor. But he assured me that if I was not totally satisfied, I could always bring the unit back and exchange it for the Acurus. I have always considered Progressive Audio to be an excellent business with knowledgeable personnel; therefore, I took the dive. Well, its been almost a year now, and (knock-on-wood)I have not experienced any problems with it nor have I heard the well-documented legendary "hiss". Aside from the fact that it is constantly on or in use by some member of the household, it has been a very fine performer. I am not trying to negate the criticisms of others who have experienced problems with its predecessor nor invalidate the suggestion that to whatever foreign company Adcom is now out-sourcing the assemblage of its processors does not deserve a second look by the company. Maybe, I'm just lucky. Regardless, this is a very good sounding unit and considering the enjoyment that it has brought into our domicile, I am forced to give it an excellent rating.

Purchased At:   Progressive Audio