Adcom GTP-600 A/V Preamplifier

3.83/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $1100.00

Surround Sound Tuner/Preamplifier.

Submitted by Jenky a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2010

Bottom Line:
This a quick review of the GTP 600. Purchased on ebay for less than 150.00 without remote. The Harmony 1000 takes care of that situation. I replaced a Denon AVR 3805 which was used for 2 Channel Stereo (Pure Direct Mode/ Room Eq Set at Flat). I only unplugged the Denon and replaced it with the GTP 600, the amplifier is just a "fill in", I am waiting for my mono blocks to get back from service (Adcom 565s). The imaging, the line output level (voltage), neutral/transparent sound and lyrical content is better. In specifics, I have more of an analog sound instead of the "digitzed" sound. I still want to add a tube buffer in between the pre-amp and amplifiers. I hope this helps, this is a great buy for the audiophile on a budget!

Submitted by jod670 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2009

Bottom Line:
Read my review last.........

As others have noted this preamp does not switch HDMI or COMP video.......why would anyone place anything between a source and display, no matter the quality of the switch? Get a universal remote if you want ease of use.

I've had some good quality surround sound proccessors. I have since found that a good two channel system is superior to a great 5.1/7.1 system. Too many room variables and only one "sweet spot".

"Sounds poor with bad cables."..... Come on,..... really? Thank you Captain Obvious..

"Tube like", what he means is warm and nearly transparent. That it is. I play this through a Soundsource amp "true 100 watts per" and Klipsch Heresy II's. The Klipsch will sound hollow, tinny, or shrill with most non-tube preamp/amp models. Not here. Voices and sound effects are natural and smooth.

The reomte is so-so (again, get a universal). Volumn jumps are large. I cured this by turning down my amp inputs. Even at 1/2 Vol my neighbors complain. Besides, this preamp is so clean that when pegged out (full Vol) it does not introduce ANY noise.

To find a better two channel preamp you'll pay ten times the price.

Submitted by mr._bowtie a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2006

Bottom Line:
Excellent Audio, Horrible Video. Thats it in a nutshell....

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Tom Althouse a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have used this with 3 different power amps and then I switched back to the Preamp section of Yamaha RXV-850. Wow the real contrast is the preamp level. The Adcom sound is fantastic. I even measured insitu SPL with several test frequencies to try an verify what my ears told me in respect to how flat the frequency response is with the Adcom. The Yamaha's preamp section left huge dips and peaks all over the map. The power amps were hard to compare when using the Adcom preamp on the front end. They all sounded very good. I would not have beleived that it was making such a large difference if I hadn't done all the listens tests with all the combinations myself. The power amps used were the Bryston 2b, Yamaha P2200, and the power section of the RXV850 Yamaha. The speakers used were Magnepan MG12's with a Dalqhist powered sub woofer brought in at < 40 hz (The lower cut off of the MG12's)

Purchased At:   Audio-One Canada

Submitted by Zack a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
I picked this up as a customer trade in with OBM and not a single scratch for $200 about 1 1/2 years ago, and have been overall very happy with this unit. Although there seem to be a lot of reviewers who knock the lack of 5.1, or the ability to switch between SVideo and RCA inputs, for my RCA-based needs this has never been a problem. (Although it will be soon as I am currently looking at upgrades) The tuner is unbelievably clean and pulls in stations no other unit I've owned can (I live in the boonies) and it's nice to have a clean, 2-channel option for listening to music. The only real thing I've noticed with this unit is that it requires high-quality cabling between the preamp and source components or it sounds really thin and washed out. The learning remote is VERY nice...I guess the only thing I would add to a component of this type in this price range would be a variable Sub crossover, the factory setting seems to either be set too high or rolls off too slowly for my tastes (easily fixed with an active crossover). For value, I will give this a 5 star PROVIDED you bick one up for say $350 or less (not a problem on Ebay or Audioshopper.com) and for overall, considering the price range again, the same 5 stars. My "Mid-Fi" system:

ADCOM GTP600 Preamp
CARVER TFM25 (250W/ch) Mains
CARVER TFM15 (Bridged) Center
ADCOM GFA545II (100W/ch)Rears
CUTEC 2250 (250W/ch) Subs

KLIPSCH KLF30's (Mains)
KLIPSCH KLF C7 (center)
KLIPSCH KLF20's (Rears)
EMINENCE PS150 (2X 15" Transmission-line cabs) Subs (2)

ALESIS MEQ-230 EQ's (Mains and Rears)
CUTEC EQ-31 EQ (Center)
Sony 200disc changer (Seperate D/A converter coming soon...)
JVC DVD Player (Soon to be changed also)
ADCOM ACE power conditioner