Universal Home Theater Master Remote Control Remote Controls

4.5/5 (2 Reviews) MSRP : $299.95

Submitted by Jeff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
Universal® MX1000 Home Theater Master Remote Review

It took me awhile to figure out the design of the remote only because the manual that comes with the unit lacks. Much of it reads like it was written by someone from another country just learning English. The product is fortunately AWESOME and compensates for the documentation.

You'll find plenty of preprogrammed MFG codes. Selecting the correct pre-programmed code was often a difficult task, since multiple codes seemed to control the same device. Additionaly, many of the pre-programmed buttons didn't do what they said. Oh well, so much for out of the box simplicity.

It's ability to learn is the best I've encountered. The real power is its ability to be customized SO nicely that even the wife can figure it out!!

The first unit I customized was my VCR. It took a few hours to finish because one has to constantly navigate the MX-1000 menus and wheel of fortune selections, not to mention it's slow to respond. Folks in a rush will end up with a remote that looks like a quality control nightmare. I spent lots of time adjusting the button labels and layouts. I have fat fingers and weak eyes, so I wanted big buttons with big text and large spacing such that I wouldn't accidently hit the wrong button. Once the button layouts were arranged, I taught the remote the codes for each VCR button. This only took a few minutes and I was very happy that it learned everything!!

The next approach was to download the S/W and try using the computer to create the custom device pages. The first thing I did was to save my existing MX-1000 work on the HD. Using the PC is the way to go. You can create custom buttons shapes and arrange things very quickly. You can delete and add buttons all over the place with the exception of the main page. Apparantly, all 15 buttons must be there since they are hard mapped to device pages. My main page only needed 8 buttons, so changed the other seven to small dots, erased their labels, and positioned them beneath the buttons I wanted.

Overall this remote will grow and adapt to your system whatever it is.

See this URL for tons of info on this remote.
You'll be glad you did!

Purchased At:   http://www.dealmountain.com/

Submitted by Kevin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
Now since I have used the MX 1000 for over one year here are my comments,
The remotes works great and is simple to use. My wife who is not an electronic junkie has no problems using this remote. Setting the remote up took a couple of days to get everything correct and where I would want to have the commands. I never downloaded any new software, I felt the style of buttons that I was able to use was sufficent. The only slight glitch that I have found is that on my Audio Research Pre-Amp I have to aim the remote towards the ceiling for it to work, Who knows why maybe the signal is too strong for that unit. Any way no big deal. It is nice to have one remote that controls all of my needs and I don't have to store the other remotes in drawers. The batteries seem to last around three months and the remote needs 4 AA batteries. I was thinking about buying the Pronto but for one hundred dollars less I am very happy with the MX 1000 and saved my self some money.

Purchased At:   Factory Direct

Universal® Remote Control Launches New Master System Controller for Home Theater

[B][CENTER][SIZE="3"]Expandable New MSC-400 Controller Combines with Other URC Remotes to Custom-Automate Home Systems with Unmatched Power, Speed, Flexibility [/SIZE][/CENTER][/B] [B]CEDIA EXPO, DENVER, CO, Sept. 14, 2006 [/B]— Universal Remote Control, Inc., the leader in control system design ... Read More »

BLG CP024: