Sony RM-AV2100 Remote Controls

4.28/5 (46 Reviews)

Universal Remote...upgrade to the 2000.

Submitted by muletman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have already reviewed the 2100, but i thought it was worth letting everyone know who is buying or already has this product that you must use STAMINA batteries with the remote. I was just using traditional run of the mill AA alkilines and the backlight stopped working.

I took it back to Sony central and they told me it could because of the batteries. The sales man chucked in 4 of Sony's STAMINA 1.5volt heavy duty batteries and the backlight worked! He let be keep the batteries for free!!

This does not damage the 2100's abilty or reputation, I just thought it was worth noting this because you may think you have a broken remote control on your hands. I still kicks ass!!

Submitted by Ray Lee a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
Note- price quoted in Can$. After lots of research, I decided to go for this one - and immediately put away 5 remotes! Not only that, my wife can use it, which with the multiple remotes was always beyond her willingness to take the time to learn. It took about an hour to program it; I found learning mode best, rather than the preprogrammed stuff. Also, be careful not to do that in the same room as your audio stuff, as feedbakc can upset the learning process. Overall this is a terrific little toy. Not chepa here in Canada (CAD200, and no-one discounts it), but buying from the US doesn't improve the situation much after shipping charges. I bought it from Sony here, and was able to puy two years extra warranty for another CAD30, which I thought worthwhile.

Purchased At:   sony store

Submitted by NoWake a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
The Sony RM/AV2100 is a great remote in a 'nut shell'. It is very easy to program and as of right now I am only using 25% of it capability. I love the light, there is nothing more that ticks me off is when I want to adjust something with the lights out and I press the wrong button durning a movie or when listening to music! With the light on this will never happen again. The instruction book has alot of information, and is easy to get around. I think the remote's instruction book is thicker than my reciever's! The remote is great and would recomend it highly if you are in the market.....check e-bay first not C.C.

Purchased At:   e-bay sirjohnson

Submitted by Lex Stanfield a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
I love this product!!! It controls all of my toys, including the ones in the bedroom. Since my tv and vcr, are the same brands, in the bedroom and den, I amm able to use it for 14 seperate components. I was even able to program it for my webtv, and my Tivo!!! The manual says that you can program it for up to 12 different things, or in my case 14, but I think if you don't use the tape input, for a cassette player, then you should be able to control 13 seperate devices...

Purchased At:   Online-"Giftsplash"

Submitted by busychild a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
I got this on ebay from some user named MRNICEGUY for 97$. I see him selling stuff often. Out of the box this unit cotrolled everything but my reciever and digital cable box. After approx 25 min, I had it programmed to controll both. I use mostly sony ES components. The digi box is motorola (total junk thank you cox cable) and I use seperates by Parasound for pre/amp. The remote has all the required pre set touch screen buttons to not only control my pre amp but set up the 5.1 and surround sound. It will also not only control my cable box but again has all the required screen buttons to surf, use the guide info, ect. The macros function will make 16 commands. More than enough for my media room. When I upgrade it to Home theater, it will do all that I need it to and more. I am very happy w/this purchase. My wife is very happy w/the ease of operation and that the buttons have the same name commands. FYI this remote will controll 12 things. It can be programmed. It can learn and has settings for 3 seperate macros w/16 functions each. If you realy want better you will most likely need to spend about 100-250$ more. I do not think this has rf. It is only ir. LOOK ON EBAY AND SALES. DO NOT PAY FULL LIST PRICE! YOU CAN FIND ONLINE CHEAPER!!

happy listening! busychild9@hotmail.com