Radio Shack 15-1994 Remote Controls

4.56/5 (18 Reviews) MSRP : $39.00

Universal 6 in 1 Remote with programming, macros

Submitted by CAGRI a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this remote surprisingly expensive, radioshack's price overseas price policy is unbelievable as they sell say an SPL meter for $20, almost half the list price, but this remote is vice versa. Anyway, even for $60 I'd paid, this remote is excellent value. Its size is just fine, fits and fills the hand. Back lighting is very convenient. It doesn't support my Kenwood receiver although there are codes in the manual (both in the official and in the one at hifi-remote.com), but it supports my Loewe TV. I have no complaints with 2 remotes though; after having used 5 for a long time and I will replace the Kenwood anyway. This is a great product, very easy to setup, I have a 200 disc changer with lots of function buttons on its remote and I did't need to program a single smart key, every key has a match on 1994 already. Highly recommended.

Purchased At:   Radioshack

Submitted by MoTV a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
My goal was to find a reasonably priced universal remote that I don't have to keep going back to the original remotes including setup. With the help of Yahoo jp1 group (groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1), remotecentral.com, and www.hifi-remote.com websites, I can now control every device that I have without ever going back to the original remotes by making up my own devide code, especially for Cambridge Audio CD Player and Panasonic Laserdisc Player.

You simply cannot get the flexibility and the control of 15-1994 with jp1 interface without spending spending $100 - $300 for a good learning remote. With the jp1 interface, programming a replacement remote only takes seconds which no other remote can duplicate at this price range. I have not tried other PDA based remotes such as Pronto, but I prefer discrete buttons over touch screen since I don't have to look at what I am pressing.

I am now using my 15-1994 to control:
Mitsubishi WS-55805 TV
Yamaha RXV-2095 Receiver
Cambridge Audio D500SE CD Player
Pioneer Elite DV-37 DVD Player
Panasonic LX600 Laser Disc Player
Mitsubishi HSU-69 SVHS VCR
RCA DTC-100 HDTV Set Top Box

Other than the learning curve of jp1 interface, this is probably one of the best value out there.

Purchased At:   Radio Shack

Submitted by Trun Cated a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
Just wanted to say that any review made before the jp1 cable and software was developed should be discounted to some extent, since virtually every limitation has been overcome. For instance, out of the box, it couldn't control some of the features on my Sony DB930 tuner, but now th 15-1994 controls it with far less effort than the two way remote that came with the tuner.

Purchased At:   Radio Shack

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
well i think the guys at www.hifiremote.com get 10 stars
hey guys i have remote start on my car can you get it to start my car it would not surprise me radio shack for youre help you get hahahaa

Purchased At:   radio shack

Submitted by James a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
I just got a 15-1994 from RS yesterday. Having had the Cinema 7 for several weeks, programming it with a JP1 interface, and getting it set up for my system, I've really enjoyed its capabilities. My wife however, never liked the C7 because she said the buttons were too small and the labels hard to read. After using it for a while, I finally had to agree with her. The buttons are just too small for my fingers and the number-shaped keys felt spongy to me. Even the channel up/down and volume up/down buttons, which I use a lot, just seemed to be poorly located and too small.

Having heard that the 1994 was discontinued, or would soon be, I ran over yesterday to pick one up at my local RS for
$29.95. The manager assured me that it was not discontinued, and he had no indications on his computer that it would be. I carried the 1994 home and much to my delight the JP1 interface was already there, unlike the C7 which I had to solder in.

Using the JP1 cable and IR software, I quickly programmed the 1994 to pretty much match the setup the C7 had provided. This was a snap since I had already done my homework and knew what advanced codes I would be using and how the macros were to be programmed. The 1994 has the 0394 code so it can control my RCA DirecTV receiver much better than the 0566 code in the C7. The 1994 is a much bigger remote, but is just about the exact same size as the RCA universal that came with the DirecTV. However, the size of the keys, the key layout, and especially the backlighting make this remote a joy to use! The large rocker-type volume up/down and channel up/down make channel surfing a pleasure, and the suede like finish and shape of the housing feels good in the hand. The only disadvantages of the 1994 are that I had to fix the volume punch through with the key mover, and there is no DVD key, so I'll have to remember that AUX2 is the DVD. Some might say that it's too big, but I feel the extra size is a good thing because it allows the keys to be larger, and as I said, it's about the same size as the RCA DirecTV remote and my GE DVD remote.

I'm going to keep the Cinema 7 around for programming, experimentation, and because it knows a lot of codes that the 1994 doesn't. And since it only cost 1/3rd the price of the 1994, what the heck, it makes a good backup. All in all, I'd have to say that the 1994 is a winner, especially if it keeps my wife happy!

Purchased At:   Radio Shack *cough*

Cerwin Vega AT-15 speakers

Hi need help. I bought a set of AT-15 Cerwin Vega speakers from a thrift store for a very good deal. There excellent condition and all original. But I could not fit them in my car so I had to buy them and take out the speakers and take them home because several people in the store were pissed they d ... Read More »

Panasonic SC-HT 15 F76m Error Msg

Hi all, I've just joined this forum! I have this F76 error message on my receiver. I have checked all the speaker wire and connections as the manual suggests, but still get the error msg. Does anyone have any other potential reasons for this error or any other corrective measures I can take? Or am I ... Read More »

what do you think of running 2 brutus brz1700.1 on 2 kicker 15" solo baric L7 D2

So this is wat I'm doing, I already bought 1 kicker SL15 D2 sub which ill run at 1 ohm parallel powered buy 1 brutus brz1700.1 amp. I want to get the 1 sub up and running before adding the other because I am going to have to upgrade my alternator and get a yellowtop. I figured ill run each s ... Read More »

15" ported sub

hola gentlemen! One more marble sub appeared. not total marble, but top part is enough for make it substantial and it shouldn't jumping through the room. I choose Pro-audio 15" woofer, made in according of my request, couse I don't like long-stroke things. it will be able to take 1kW RMS, but for ... Read More »

Bose QC 15 vs. Monster Beats By Dre: Head-to-Head Review

I just commented on a couple of posts about both sets of headphones. In researching them both a few months back, I found a helpful review that offers a detailed comparison of the two: [url=http://www.head-2-head.com/article/Headphones-Head-to-Head-Review-Beats-By-Dre-Studio-vs-Bose-QC15.html]Head ... Read More »

Premier Mounts: