Philips Pronto Remote Control
Description: Universal touchscreen, programmable LCD remote

Submitted by Steve a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2004

Bottom Line:
Review of Phillips Model - PM8TSMD
For manual see...
www.gemini-usa.com/pdf/PM8TSMD.pdf

If you want to program every button from every remote you own - This unit is NOT for you!!!

If you want the basic day-today functions - READ ON...

This is a small, well designed unit!
Pre-programmed codes emulate original remote very closely (except receivers) - reducing the need to "teach the remote" after the pre-programmed code assignment

Can add "learned" codes before or after selecting pre-programmed codes in each mode (i.e. TV, Audio, DVD etc...)

Consists of a set of fixed buttons and a bright blue LCD Screen which displays one of two sets of 13 keys, each of which can:
- adopt one of the pre-defined stored codes
- learn a command from the original
remote
- be assigned one of a set of labels
- removed from view completely

Each set of keys is toggled by the "Screen" key.

The Volume +/- and Mute keys can be "punched" through to other to all modes allowing control of these features regadrless of the mode you are in!

The manual states that you cannot learn commands from multiple remotes within each defined mode e.g.
Selecting the Mode "TV" will only allow commands to be learned from the TV's remote.
This is not strictly true as I have actually managed to have the remote learn commands from the TV remote and the Audio remote within its DVD Mode

This remote is so good even my Wife uses it without a problem (this may be a weakness)

In comparison to the other remotes I have used, this remote is:
- MUCH CHEAPER !
- Simpler to program
- simpler to use
- has replaced ALL of my existing remotes for general viewing/listening use ( I still need the original remotes for initial setup)

AND - it was only $39.95 Canadian

I now have the AV Receiver, DVD, TV and VCR setup to my satisfaction and can control the desired components....
For Example:
I select DVD (the blue panel changes to display the functions I require i.e.
- turn on the DVD
- configure the AV Receiver to pickup the sound
- configure the TV to pickup the picture
- control playback, pause, Frame-by-Frame, Fast forward, chapter, stop, open
ALSO as a CD player another button on the blue screen sets up the AV Receiver to paly a CD in Stereo instead of 5.1 surround

The VCR is setup in a similar manner

There is no change back and forth between devices

One Caveat - I could not learn more than 7-8 comands even when I did not select one of the predefined codes (I should have been able to learn 40 codes - maybe it was my remotes, since some remotes take up much more memory), but I seem to have managed to learn all of the codes I required because the preset codes have been so well designed.

Purchased At:   Radio Shack

Submitted by Steve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
Review of Phillips Model - PM8TSMD
For manual see...
www.gemini-usa.com/pdf/PM8TSMD.pdf

This is a well designed unit!
Pre-programmed codes emulate original remote very closely - reducing the need to "teach the remote" after the pre-programmed code assignment

Can add "learned" codes after selecting pre-programmed codes in each mode (i.e. TV, Audio, DVD etc...)

Consists of a set of pre-defined buttons and a bright blue LCD Screen which displays one of two sets of 13 keys, each of which can:
- learn a command from the original remote
- be assigned one of a set of labels
- removed from view completely

Each set of keys is toggled by the "Screen" key.

The Volume +/- and Mute keys can be "punched" through to other (but not all) modes allowing control of these features regadrless of the mode you are in!

In comparison to the other remotes I have used, this remote is:
- MUCH CHEAPER !
- Simpler to program
- simpler to use
- has replaced ALL of my existing remotes for general viewing/listening use ( I still need the some remotes for initial setup)

AND - it was only $39.95 Canadian

Purchased At:   Radio Shack

Submitted by a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
I'll start off with this; this is my personal opinion only. I cannot stand this remote. This has got to be one of the clumsiest remotes that I have ever had the misfortune to operate. I have worked for a dealership who sells these units for quite some time and have experience programming them as well. I'll list my main problems as below.

-Poor build quality (MANY broken returns)
-NO hard button familiarity (cannot use in the dark without touching to activate back light)
-SLOW use (no quick commands here, you must find the desired page, find the button and make your command, very slow)
-Clumsy Macros (people are obsessed with this one. Guess what, in the world or IR, macros do not work so well, this thing doesn't do RS232)

This thing has lots of "Wow, neat" potential but little else. If you want a real remote try a Home Theater Master. This thing poorly emulates a higher end remote such as a Panja/AMX or Crestron.

Purchased At:   Phillips dealer

Submitted by bscepter a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
I just bought a refurbished TS1000 from the Philips online store and it seems to be great so far. It replaced 4 remotes (Sony Receiver, Toshiba DVD, Motorola Digital Cable Box and Sony Wega TV) For the price ($85), it's pretty tough to beat.

Purchased At:   Philips Online Store

Submitted by JohnAM58 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
This remote is a total piece of JUNK!!
It works good when the batteries are fully
charged.Getting this piece of junk to recharge on the charging dock is where my unit falls short.Sometimes it charges , sometime it does not.I usually have to remove the batterie then put it back in and place it on the charging dock and HOPE.
Anybody looking to waste $300.00 , buy this
unit.When my Pronto batterie will no longer
hold a charge I will through this over priced calculator away.