Marantz RC2000 Mark 2 Home Theater Universal remote Remote Controls

4.5/5 (64 Reviews)

Top line universal remote with illuminated buttons.

Submitted by sactohye a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2005

Bottom Line:
I wanted a learning remote which could learn all the codes from all the remotes for my HT system. The Marantz RC2000 Mark 2 more than filled the bill. I was able to program ALL the codes from all six remotes for all the devices in my HT system. Even all those codes only made a small dent in the RC2000 Mark 2’s memory. This allowed me to put all the original remote controls away for safe keeping and put an end to remote clutter.

The Direct buttons are a very powerful feature of this remote. They allow programming of any special codes from a remote. In addition, the buttons can be renamed. While programming the remote and renaming all the Direct buttons can be tedious, it’s worth all the effort as it makes using the remote that much easier.

The Macro buttons are equally handy to set up all the codes to turn on the equipment and select what one wants for inputs, etc. Makes operating one’s equipment that much easier.

The RC2000 Mark 2 is a large remote and requires two hands to operate it. It is rather top-heavy, especially with alkaline cells installed. The backlight makes operation easier in a dark room, but it can take its toll on the batteries. This remote is rather hard on a set of batteries.

Despite its heft and appetite for batteries, I have been very happy using the RC2000 Mark 2. It does everything I want a remote to do and does it well. One can’t ask for more than that.

Purchased At:   Audio/FX, Sacramento

Submitted by el boom a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2004

Bottom Line:
Granted this remote has been out there for a while, so I won't be trashing it for it's relative bulk but it does have one serious design flaw (for any of you who want a used model). Over time, some of the keys stop working. On two remotes I owned, there was a creeping malaise of buttons that stop working reliably. Over time, it became difficult and then impossible to use the remote. I've owned two of them with the same problem. The first was replaced by Marantz. That was very nice of them since it was out of warranty. However, the same problem came along and basically proved to me that it's a product quality issue.

Purchased At:   Replacement from Mar

Submitted by briangm a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2004

Bottom Line:
We have used this remote for 4 years and it has done everything asked of it. Initial programming is a task, but the unit operates flawlessly once that's done. The main buttons on the MkII have been repositioned and are now convenient. Batteries tend to last about 6 months in every day use, as we use the backlight very seldom.

Submitted by Johnny Canuck a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
I got tired of having a seemingly endless number of remotes and tired several universals before I came across this one.

The problem with most universals is the pre-labelling does not suit most brands. The nicest thing about the RC2000 is the ability to self-label up to 32 buttons per item (ie. 32 for DVD, 32 for VCR, etc).

The remote has a great tactile feel and the ability to store 14 macros. An awesome unit although I am thinking of upgrading to a Philips Pronto Neo for the coolness factor.

Purchased At:   A&B Sound

Submitted by s_d_gilchrist a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
I love this remote. I had a brief flirtation with touch screen, and hated it. I tried a Home Theater Master SL9000 and although it's easier to use one-handed and has a stronger IR transmitter, it is sadly lacking in flexibility and functionality.

I haven't found a remote that can do the kind of things this remote can do, at any price. The new Home Theater Master remotes come close, but cost more.

Battery use: I know this remote like the back of my hand. I keep the backlight and beep turned off and the batteries last and last. Only occasionally do I need the light to access an advanced function on the LCD panel.

Whenever the screen-printed labels on my RC2000MkII begin to fade, I just buy another one on ebay and put the old one up for auction. It costs me about $20 to upgrade to a new one if I get a good deal on it and sell the old one before it gets too worn.

I have KEF Reference series speakers all around in my HT, and the mother of all passive subs, the famous isobaric Alon, powered by a single Classe monoblock. It's fast and accurate, and goes down to single-digit Hz (!) and puts the biggest and best Velodynes, RELs and Hsus to shame. I have a Marantz receiver sending out the power (one day I'll be able to afford some serious separates), and I have a very good Marantz CD player. I've got the biggest Panasonic superflat monitor, and a wonderful Sonly satellite receiver.

But most of my gear (except speakers) I will probably upgrade several times. This remote will outlast all of it. A remote upgrade for me is a new RC2000MkII. All the fancy big-buck remotes out there are overkill, and cannot justify their price.

If you were considering a fancy touchscreen remote, just find one of these for under a hundred bucks on ebay, program it to control your entire system with precision and flexibility, and then buy a few dozen DVDs with the money you saved.

You'll have old tech that is far superior to touchscreen in most of the ways that matter.

Now, if we could just convince Marantz to update this design with rechargeable batts and a docking station, we'd be in fat city.

60.0 WA BLACK: