Harman Kardon Take Control Master Remote Remote Controls

3.72/5 (32 Reviews)

IR Programmable Master Learning Remote

Submitted by Skytrooper a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2006

Bottom Line:
Great remote.It replaces all my others.1 thing though,when naming inputs,say something other than cable box, when naming that input on your tv or receiver. It flips out Harmon Kardons data base.Just name it video whatever where your cable box is connected to your tv or receiver. This caused me many hours of grief when I first got this remote. A call to a HK tech straightened my mess out.

Purchased At:   One Call

Submitted by kfilly a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2006

Bottom Line:
Awesome remote! I had a little trouble initially setting up because of firewall issues I had with Norton internet security. Anyway, the remote works great. For those of you who have never seen or used anything like this, it is a pretty cool set up. To program the remote, you have to install software onto your computer. This software takes you directly to Harman Kardon's website. On the website, you list what make and model of any component you have. Plug the remote into a USB port on the computer, and your remote is automatically programmed to run whatever devices you have. That is not the end of it. You can create what are called activities. For example, let's say you want to watch a DVD and listen to it through your stereo. Turning on and controlling all of the aformentioned devices (TV, DVD player, stereo), for example, would be classified as one activity. One can via the website tell the remote which audio, and visual componets they want to turn on at the press of a button. Not only do they turn on, the components are also set to the right inputs/outputs. Great idea! No more table clutter from several remotes laying around. Also, a technophobe can operate a complex system with ease.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by bigfatbear88 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
I must say that after some quilty time spent using this remote, I can't deny that I truly LOVE this remote. You can get them on ebay & various websites for DIRT cheap. You should use www.remotecontrolcentral.com as a blueprint for modifying, programing and tweeking this remote. I have the Radio Shack LED modification and also the Tadiran 3.6 volt lithium batteries. I use my remote to control my entire system which you can read about under review for the HK Signature 2.0 I was a little skeptical at first after reading these reviews but once I went Remote Central I found the light. I can do anything with this remote from controlling my remote fan to theater lights to controling the fireplace. After thr modifications my screen is bright & range is ridiculously broad. Althoug the Pronto's my be a little better (because they still make firmware) they too are a pain to work with, read the reviews. You should buy one and use that website and I gurantee you'll love it, besides you get a $400.00 remote for around $50.00 so you can't be but so angry, come on people lighten up, nothing is fullproof!!!

Purchased At:   harmankardon.com

Submitted by Oscar Amos a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
I wanted a remote to replace the 4 I use on a regular basis and, after programming, this remote was able to replace them all. The built in codes were adequate for all except my Dish Network Echostar PVR box and I couldn't get it to learn some more advanced functions of my Sony remote or my off the shelf Radio Shack remote for my lights (may not be IR). The product can be more cumbersome than the remotes it replaces but with some forethought, tweaking, and riding the learning curve, this can be a powerful tool in the home A/V arsenal. With the macros, I am able to power up or down the entire system with a single button. I also use the macros to switch the A/V and TV inputs so that I can play my XBox. A macro switches them back for me when finished. Although significantly heavier than any other remote I have used, it is not too unwieldy. It will take a bit longer to get to some remote functions than with the remotes with dedicated buttons that it replaces, but some planning can minimize this. The PC interface is extremely easy to use and offers an incredible amount of customization.

I spent quite a bit of time tweaking the control. For example, you may not think having the same button in the same place on a touch screen makes that much of a difference but there is a reason the File menu is always the first on the left... I spent a good amount of time figuring out just what was the most useful grouping of buttons on what screen and added shortcuts to other screens. I kept the function of the roller pretty consistent and was able to change the mute button to pause the DVD or pause live TV. The more I have used it, the more I have been able to refine the set-up and increase its usability.

To get around the limitations of the number of buttons on the screen, I programmed general navigation for my cable box into one screen (or activity as they are called), controls for the live TV recorder into another, and put the number pad on a third. Each screen has shortcuts to the other. Requires a few extra key presses but it is not too "painful". I was quite used to finding the keys on my old remotes by touch and it is a little discontering to have to look at the screen instead of the device I am controlling. This is mostly a learning curve on my part.

Although completely irrelevant to functionality, it also looks cool. Overall, I am extremely satisfied with it.

Purchased At:   eCost.com

Submitted by chipster a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
When Ubid started selling these for $89, I had to buy one (though Harman Kardon now sells them for less on Ebbay). My previous experinece is with the Universal Home Theater Master.

So what can I say. Does it program multi- functions-yes. Combine remotes-yes. But the real question is, as eveyone else has noted, it is convenient?

Unfortunately I have to say no. The basic ergonomics that I rely on in a remote control, just aren't there. The touch pad isn't that sensitive and apparently my fingers are too big to hit the right channel numbers (yes my Palm is no more sensitive, but I'm using that in bright office light and it comes with a pointer). Next- the functions happen just way too slow- my tv's standard remote changes channels and adjusts volume faster. And lastly, the screen is just too dark, even with the backlight, to see while watching tv/ videos. During the day I struggle to see the touch pad. At night I hold the remote near a lamp to find the right buttons.

And.... last but not least, its heavier than any other remote I've ever used.

Thus, I cannot recommend this remote simple because even though it may be smart, it's just plain impractical.

My take is that it was best of class when it came out several years ago, but life has passed it by, and that's why Harman Kardon/ JBL/ Madrigal is blowing them out of here.

Purchased At:   Ubid