Plateau FL-5A Racks & Stands

5 Component Stand

Submitted by Tommy a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
The unit arrived in 1 piece and went together in 20 minutes or so. Everything lined up well. Decent looking piece relative to the price.
The unit rocks(sways) due to design. It's not that your components are in danger of falling off or the unit itself will collapse. It's just that by design, the unit is not rock solid stable, it actually sways.
It does a fairly decent job of limiting vibration transfer through the unit to the components however .... much better than one of the Walmart/Kmart/Home Depot type, all wood AV cabinets/racks could do.

I'd recommend it as a temporary fix. Overall you can do better for less money with some MDF, all-thread rod and appropriate nuts and washers. If DIY is not your thing, spend a bit more money on a stronger rack.

It'll work temporarily, in a pinch, but not an "audiophile" worthy piece.

My rating is based on price.

Submitted by Andrew Hoff a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 25, 1999

Bottom Line:
This is the cheapest component stand that I could find. It has a good appearance and more durable than I expected. I paid $120 at MCM Electronics. The only bad thing about it was the shelf height is only 6.5" and the shelf depth only 16", so my Pioneer 301 disc CD player had to go on the top shelf. My DSX-V605 Pioneer receiver barely fit on the 2nd shelf, so I had to buy a fan to help it dissipate the heat. Since the shelf depth is a little short, my components overhang the front about 0.5", but it looks good. These problems with the shelf height & width is not the manufacturer's fault, most stands have these dimensions, I just wanted to make you aware of these things before you buy anything. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, I would recommend this product...it is all you really need. It doesn't make sense to pay more for aluminum/titanium stands. It is also a lot cheaper and smaller than an entertainment center, and much easier to get to your wires, you can just pick the whole thing up and turn it around. Another recommendation: wire everything up in a comfortable area and then move the entire system to where you want it. My rating is taking in consideration the low price.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile