Tekna Sonic C-10 Vibration Control Absorbers Others

2.56/5 (9 Reviews)

The C-10's are a vibration control device which can be attached to the back of your speakers.

Submitted by raycox a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
Tekna vibration absorbers Based on a glowing review by Audio Advisor I bought 2 Model C 12's. When they did nothing and I read the instructions I was told by AA that I neede 1 C-12 and 1 c-10 for each speaker. Not only did they do nothing but the magnets have lost their magnetic field and will not stay on Cals to AA and Tekna produce nothing.

Purchased At:   audio advisor

Submitted by Pat a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
In my experience, it really depends on the speakers you attach these to. I first installed them on a pair of JBL LX500 bookshelf speakers. These are great low to mid-level speakers and very well made for the price (approx. $500 new back in '93). However, like the majority of speakers in this price range, they are prone to a certain amount of cabinet resonance. The Tekna Sonic's really worked. The midrange was much less congested sounding, imaging was better and the highs were noticably smoother. Later, I bought a pair of JBL L7 floorstanders. These are vastly superior to the LX500's and much more expensive. The Tekna Sonics made absolutely no difference with these speakers and I ended up removing them. I believe this is because the L7's are extremely well built and substantially braced. Therefore, there are little, if any, cabinet resonances to begin with. Also, the L7's are much larger and heavier speakers than the 500's. Tekna Sonic recommends using 2 C-10's for speakers of this size and weight. Perhaps I would have heard a slight improvement if I had installed 2 C-10's per speaker. If I hadn't already heard the dramatic improvement the Tekna's made on my previous pair of speakers, I would have thought they were a total rip off. Instead, I feel that they have the potential to significantly improve the performance of lower to mid-level priced speakers, or, for that matter, any speaker with noticable cabinent resonance problems.

Purchased At:   Music Direct

Submitted by tonylouis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
These C-10s actually made my system sound worse. One of them appeared defective. The plates were not evenly spaced so that two plates nearly touched and would vibrate and hit each other, introducing extraneously sounds into the music. When I tried only the non-defective C10, I could hear no difference in the performance of my speakers. Basically I spent a lot of money to ruin the sound of a very good system.

Purchased At:   AudioAdvisor

Submitted by tonylouis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2003

Purchased At:   AudioAdvisor

Submitted by carbonfiber a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
I've utilized the Tekna Sonics on speakers for years. I used them on small speakers as well as large full range speakers. On full range speakers, I definately recommend using both the C-10 and the C-12. You can also utilize more than one if your speakers are large enough. But I've found that you always want at least as many C-10s as C-12s. Never more C-12s than C10s.
They also work on shelves and even on the components themselves. But like anything you attach to a shelf, speaker or component, the resonant frequency of that object changes. You should take this into consideratation when auditioning these devices. If you utilize too many, the system may seem overly bright and loose some dynamic bloom and air.
In conclusion, they always work on speakers in a positive way. With other devices, you may have to experiment, but the systems I've tried them in netted positive results when used intellegently. Definately try them under shelves.

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor