Home | Reviews | Others | TDS

TDS -II Others

3.73/5 (11 Reviews)

Submitted by mttbsh a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
Ever wonder what's going on when reviewers (including the big name audiophile mags) claim a product is the best audio component they've heard in 35 years and others claim the same product is a total sham and will do nothing but waste your money? How could two reviewers rate the same product so differently? Such is the case with the TDS, which I'd read about for years but wasn't prepared to shell out $300 or more for. But when I saw the new TDS device selling for only $35.00, I had no choice but to try it. Like all of the other reviewers I noticed a distinct difference with the unit plugged in between my Monarchy Digital Interface processor and my Sim Audio Celeste-5080 integrated amp. While it did widen the soundstage, there was a clear loss of delicacy and resolution of detail in my system. I thought that could be attributed to the cheap interconnects that come with the TDS. But the real reason I pulled the unit out the same day I put it in is that it introduced a horrid static distortion into the sound that was unbearable at lower volumes. No component, no matter how cheap, that creates this horrid distortion should be allowed on the market. I know I've read other reviewers that say "get longer interconnects to remove the TDS from your sensitive gear". Well, I'm not spending hundreds of dollars for good quality 2 meter interconnects. I'm cutting my losses... I got out of TDS and only wasted $35.00

Submitted by All_Seeing Eye a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
Having only received the TDS II yesterday, the build quality and idea of the designer are open for discussion. As soon as more is known about the sound of the TDS II, that information will be posted here.
The first thought that comes to mind when the cover is removed and the insides are given a close lookover is that this is the product of an eccentric sensibility in product design.
The box that forms the shell around the pc board is made of the thickest and heaviest metal yet observed in a unit of this type. Military use is the feel. Could take a direct hit by a small arms round and survive. Think heavy.
Next you will see what looks like a small pc board neatly laid out and well thought through. Clearly by someone who knows what he is doing. On the other hand, the parts quality appear mediocre, and design compromises are in evidence.
For example, the board is a small square that looks like it was intended to fit in a much tighter case, and the parts are tightly crowded. There are two schools of thought on this, either you want everything as close as possible to minimize path length, or you want the parts spread out a ways to reduce interference from radiated fields.
The visible problem is that the transformer is placed on the pc board near other parts where the inevitable hum and radiated 60 hz fields can cause interference. The second problem is that there is only room for marginal energy storage in small electrolytic caps which are placed within rattling distance of the transformer.
If Taddeo had wanted to market an audiophile product, he could have kept the original pc board where the processing takes place, and moved the transformer, capacitors, and rectifier section all onto another board, in order to decouple the processor from vibration and radiated fields.
At this price range he should have also included high grade foil caps to help stiffen the power supply and thoroughly filter out r.f. energy, electrolytic cap ringing, and other stray noise.
No such luck this round. On balance, the p.c. board gets an A grade for layout and a B- for engineering considerations.
Then, in an interesting turnaround, he uses top of the line Cardas RCA jacks and wires them to the p.c. board with premium silver wire.
Overall, the result is not unlike placing racing tires on a Ford Crown Victoria. Yes, it will improve some areas of performance, but it cannot substitute for performance engineering in the engine or suspension.
Then, as previously described, the whole thing is cased in a heavy steel shell. You could literally drive over this box and not harm it.
This literature that accompanies the TDS II is sub minimal. No information is given about usefulto know parameters. Input impedence ? Output impedence ? Don't ask.
At the end of the day, the sound matters. Once broken in and done its thing on a hundred or so well known disks,
The All Seeing Eye shall return and inform you of what happened.
In closing, the box looks and feels tweakable for those that go for that sort of thing. And yes, Virginia, we intend to tweak the pants off it.

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor

Submitted by Phreddye Phreekh a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
ye old mixed bag o' trix this here TDS were talking about the active audiophile so called model. when it works it pops the lid on the music and lets it flow be warned that said unit will not can not make a junker rig sound like a big buck audiophile tweak valhalla. cann not make silk pure out of sows ear, remember ? in good not insane system can really ad a nice refinement to the sound the ear brain mechanism isnt as confused or something you relate better to the music like you arent thinking around your equipment to get to the point.open the box up and you see what u get for your money quality better than cheezy but not what youd feel all warm and cozy about middlin' work. if tommy taddeo wants to show his stuff he ought to make a true 'phile model not this good enuf for circuit city thingy. wanna bet were gettin about half of what it could sound like ?

Submitted by Edward Feit a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
The one thing I'm not is a tweak freak. I tend to resist most 'tweak' hype. After all, if it were that great my equipment's manufacturers would have already installed it, right? Wrong!

Having just installed a passive preamp to simplify my system, the last thing I felt I needed was another network between me and the music. But, inspired by the recommendations of noted sound engineers, I bought the product from Audio Advisors. After all, I had thirty days to try it and could return it if I didn't like it.

I installed it and knew at once that it wasn't going back. The improvement was nothing short of phenomenal. The music sounded three-dimensional in a way I'd not heard before in 35 years of audio interest.

I experimented, removing the TDS from the system. Immediately, everything sounded flat. I couldn't reinstall the unit soon enough!

My advice: contact Audio Advisor, order a unit and try it in your system. If your system's set up right, I'm sure you'll love the way TDS makes it sound.

Submitted by Joe Pimentel a

Date Reviewed: September 20, 1999

Bottom Line:
Alright people,no BS here,just what I think this device is capable of doing.It will take your money and waste your time.This product does not deliver.It will not give you the feeling of being there.Oh, when you hook it up,you will notice the difference when you flick th toggle switch.It will sound louder and seem to bring out the mids,they will definitely come out,but without this piece of crap hooked to it,everything sounded better.I totally agree with Rob Damm on this one,except I don't care if I spoil anybody's party.This thing stinks. First my system:Fisher 500C receiver,Kyocera 310-CX CD player,Project 6.1 turntable going through a Musical Fidelity X-LP phono stage,Paradigm Mini monitor and Monitor 3 speakers.
I hooked it up between the receiver's preamp and amp stages.Listened to it.Compared the sound quality with the unit hooked up to the receiver and playing the receiver direct.I noticed that while the TDS was inbetween the preamp and amp stages,the sound quality was greatly diminished,the bass was greatly reduced,both mids and highs were cut quite a bit.It sounded muffled,as if I put a box over the speakers.Yeah when I switched the TDS on it did sound better,but not any near as good as the receiver playing straight.It also introduced distortion into the signal,and no,I didn't have near any power source.
I also checked the interconnects to see if they could the problem,but they checked out fine on everything else.
My recommendation,keep your money.This is nothing but a bunch of hype to make you believe you are getting a better sound.And for those you who think this unit works,try listening to it out of the signal path and not just flick the toggle switch.
I give this the lowest rating possible.I would give it a 0 but they don't have it.

BLG CP024: