Home | Reviews | Others | Sony

3.41/5 (17 Reviews)

Dolby Digital Processor

Submitted by mgmopar a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2014

Bottom Line:
I did have a slight his when I first started using the unit. I have no idea if my fix would help others but when I used a ground loop isolator (rs 270-054) to the rear channel amp, I could no long detect any hiss. even at very high or low gain. Currently I have no system in place after moving. but my future system will still be built off this unit. Great unit for the price.

Submitted by pathighgate a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2005

Bottom Line:
I must have been lucky, as unlike nearly every review I’ve read on this product there is virtually no noticeable hiss. I do get a very faint hissing noise from the rear speakers, but that was present before I added this to my system.

I purchased this from someone online for $50 as a stopgap solution to get Dolby digital in my bedroom home theatre without purchasing a new A/V receiver. My existing receiver had six channel inputs but no digital decoder. I was able to run the analog lines out from the processor to my receiver with no problems. Viola! Instant digital surround!

This is much more then just a Dolby digital decoder; it’s a fantastic audio signal processor. Depending on how you set it, audio from any source sounds better and richer. The pro-logic decoder is hands down better then the one built in my receiver.

At this point, I essentially us it as a pre-amp; all my audio sources are fed into and switched via the Sony. Satellite, DVD and HTPC are run into the three digital inputs, with my CD player running through the analog. The only thing my receiver is used for is speaker amplification.

I am very happy with this unit.

Purchased At:   Private Party

Submitted by mrmopar5287 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2004

Bottom Line:
This digital processor is a top notch piece of equipment, especially considering how old it is. I bought it used on Ebay, but really it was almost new still in the box.

I use it for Dolby Digital decoding when hooked up to my Sony STR-DE945 receiver, and have generally found it to be a better performer than the build in decoding chip in the receiver! Other reviewers have noted some hiss present, but this seperate decoder shows less hiss than the built in decoding of my receiver.

Overall, I use this decoder most all of the time with all audio sources that I listen to. The only time I do not use it is when listening to a SACD or DVD-A disc (direct sound from the disc player - no need for decoding) or watching a DTS DVD movie.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Bryan Stramer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
Great for an older unit. Hissing is noticeable, but overexaggerated.

Very attractive front plate.

This unit has some issues, however.
Heat is a problem. This thing gets VERY hot when running for more than an our, due to lack of heat vents on top of case.

Also, lack of DTS will not be overlooked by most users.

Also, bass management has surprisingly few options.

On the other hand, it has many DSP options, many modes (most of which are proprietary), and an EXCELLENT remote control.

Very good preamp for its price, but pass on this unit if you got enough cash for a higher-end unit.

Purchased At:   friend

Submitted by 3038 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
great sound. As for the hissing sound, I only pick it up when I am listening to a poorly recored soundtrack. Other than that nice for the price.

Premier Mounts: