Shunyata Research Hydra Model 4 Others

4.33/5 (3 Reviews) MSRP : $595.00

4 silver outlets, 2400W at 20A continuous, surge protection up to 10,000A and 6,000V, individually filtered outlets, noise filter, solid silver buss bars, removeable power cord, all metal chassis

Submitted by Miker a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2007

Bottom Line:
The Hydra 4 replaced my 12 year old API Powerwedge 114, which worked OK and served quite well, but buzzed at times. After 3 months of using the Hydra 4 (along with the Shunyata Diamondback 20 amp AC cord) I feel comfortable passing on my impressions. Right out of the box the unit passed with flying colors, but after a few weeks I noticed an absence of glare, which allowed me to turn up the volume a few notches and take in wonderful resolution and dynamics. One of my concerns with power line conditioners (and all new component additions) is altering the tonal balance where detail is increased but the body of the music is diminished. Know what I mean? This did not happen with Hydra 4, in fact, everything sounded far more life-like. The bass gained texture while retaining a satisfying fullness. The Hydra 4 was a significant step up from the older Powerwedge unit and allowed more consistency during early/late evening hours.

Purchased At:   Galen Carol Audio

Submitted by audiophi a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2006

Bottom Line:
In my system, it lowered the noise floor, which provided two immediate benefits: a blacker background and subtler details. The details include acoustic cues that deepen the soundstage. I also sense a slight overall refinement of sound quality, but it's so vague it's difficult to describe. Other than that, it provided no improvements to my Wadia CD player and Musical Fidelity integrated amp, although it does offer a stronger effect than my PS Audio Ultimate Outlet. (The Shunyata Taipan Helix Alpha power cord I bought later provided a dramatic improvement.) Of course the effects will depend on your AC power situation and your particular components. If possible, try before you buy.

Purchased At:   Music Direct

Submitted by antero a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2005

Bottom Line:
I use 2 of these, the newer version in my 2 channel system and the older version (pictured above) in my HT system.

All I can say is that if you're seriously considering letting the music flow out in an organic manner from your system, you need to try the hydras. I could not afford the hydra 8, so I ended up with 2 hydra 4's. They are clearly a step or two above the PS audio plants, Hubbel powerconditioners or the Monster HTS stuff (which is real garbage).

In my systems the results are consistent all the way through. Clean music with excellent separation/focus, pinpoint imaging, the blackest backgrounds (when used in conjunction with other shunyata cables), sounstage depth and width make it feel like you are in the venue of the actual performance ... unless you can afford the sound application reference linestage, consider the shunyata offerings ... you will not be dissapointed! Further improvements can be had by experimenting with isolation devices under the hydras.

This product deserves all the rave reviews it has garnered. Together with Sound Applications, Transparent Audio PIXL and perhaps the Reimyo Harmonix, the hydras are among the best conditioners in the world right now ... well worth their money IMO.

For those who decide to try them, consider spending more money on the powercords from the hydra to the equipment. I find the 20 amp IEC cord to the hydra is not the most critical (I use a taipan alpha on one and a revelation audio precept on the other).

Purchased At:   ovation audio