Marchand Electronics XM9 Electronic Crossover Others

4.67/5 (12 Reviews)

Solid State Electronic Crossover with 24db/octave slope

Submitted by tkyc a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2009

Bottom Line:
If you need an active crossover to feed low and high signals to your ampfiliers, this is the place. I have use this crossover for over 9 yeas and it is if it isn't there. It does it's job and adds nothing to the overall sound which is praise indeed. I bi-amp with 2 amps, one powering the my subs and the other powering my mains. This crossover delivers and the sound is incredible and very sensitive to any upgrades I have made. Taking the product off line adds nothing. I love you Marchand!!!! Buy it.

Submitted by Alex Liu a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2007

Bottom Line:
I had tried electronic crossover before just for subwoofer with satellite small main speaker. However, last experience did not amaze me at all. This time I'm curious whether a 3-way electronic crossover + tri-amp combination could beat a very good passive crossover (quaility parts and fine tuning) plus a very good power amp. Hence, this XM9 electronic crossover journey began!

For experimental purpose, I just bought four XM9 PCB from Marchand Electronics Inc. After carefully reading of the well-written assembly manual, collection of the quailty parts and suitable case started with 100% confidence. I think everyone will believe this electronic crossover had been well design by Marchand after reading of the manual! The op IC are sixteen OPA2134 and the resistors are PH 1% or 0.1%. The power supply are mono-mono with local well-design +- 15V power supply (http://ucccap.myweb.hinet.net/) (not 7815 and 7915). Connetion cable are Mogami #2791 and pure OCC 1mm. The RCA are CMC high quality connectors. The sound level adjustment between three frequency bands were assisted with frequency generator and AC meter, then final level adjustment with HiFish AC controller and HiFish test CD.

The results is much more than I expected! Every kinds of music become more transparent, more speed, more detail, more power, and more linear across a very large range of sound pressure!

Conclusions: If you could diy, try it! It is 100% bargain while it is 100% high quality of sound! If you could not diy, buy it assembed if you need a electronic crossover!

Purchased At:   Marchand

Submitted by drjoe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
I'm guessing this XM-9 is a pre 1995 model because of the extremely thin power cord (thinner than the cord on my clock radio), but I could be totally wrong. . .

So far I am thoroughly disappointed in this crossover. Pro audio friends have told me for years that if I try active biamping, I'll never go back to passive crossovers. Finally, I got the extra power amp and interconnects and the XM-9 crossover and was ready to try.

Overall, compared the the stock passive crossovers I was using, this configuration sounds muffled, as if someone just hung several layers of cloth over the speaker cones. Transients are blurred, the sense of liveliness and "presence" is gone. It's just mid-fi boring sound now.

And, to make matters worse, the crossover produces so much speaker hiss that you can plainly hear it 6-8 feet away; It's so bad it interferes with quiet acoustic passages.

So far a big disappointment.

I've written to Marchand Electronics to see if they think the crossover needs servicing.

Associated equipment:

Sony DVP-S9000 CD/SACD/DVD player
PS Audio 5.5 preamp
Muse Model 100 power amp (2 units)
Altec 604-8K speakers in custom 8.5 cu. ft. cabinets based on Altec 620 cabinet, but with shelf braces and 1.5 inch thick panels (baltic birch and MDF) all around.
XLO and JPS cabling.

Purchased At:   private purchase fro

Submitted by PMartinez a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
I built this unit from a kit provided by Marchand. I also purchased the upgrade options. Marchand's kit instructions were excellent as were the quality of the components. I have build many Heathkits over the years and this kit would do Heathkit proud.

I also purchase 8 crossover pts at $5.00/kit. The XM9 is not a variable crossover point unit.

I can only summarize what this unit does. It's a great external crossover device. If you need an external crossover, e.g., you are using Oris horn, then you'll want to consider this and save yourself a lot of money buying a European design. It also allows you test various subs and low bass units at different crossover points. You can also connect up to two subs.

The kit was plug and play. The kit has one or two points where you check your work and the power supply has a self-test diode, so you'll know if you have messed up the power supply (solder bridge like me.)

Purchased At:   Marchand on line

Submitted by RBJ a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
Excellent performance, excellent service, excellent price.
I purchased the assembled unit, and I opted for the
"deluxe connectors" ( although I can't remember what that
was, I think it involved the gold plating). There are a few
more options, sensible ones, essentially involving
flexibility and expandability.