Home | Reviews | Others | JVC

JVC XM-448BK Others

3.5/5 (6 Reviews)

Single Mini Disc Player / Recorder with keyboard remote.

Submitted by mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
This unit is quite versatile, many functions, most usefull is the remotes keypad for entering charachters and editing. Recorded sound is virtually indistinguishable from original. Downside is eject mechanism jams every MD that is put into player! occasionally one will eject properly but most of the time I have to pry MD out of player with small screwdriver. Also being that I am acoustomed to older and higher end equiptment, this unit having plastic front and switches lend a cheap appearance to it. based on the other reviews, I am inclined to blame the eject prblem to this deck having been a factory refurbished item. I got stuck with somebody elses return! First and last factory refurbished item I will buy. Besides this obvious lemon I got, I think this deck has the potential to be a decent deck for most.

Purchased At:   e-bay

Submitted by Jeff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
Ok after reparing the stupid Sony 3 times, down the GARBAGE CHUTE it went! I was looking at the 448-bk because of the keyboard remote which I thought would be a nice touch. It is. I tried it on a couple of discs I recorded and it works like a charm, JVC really has it together on this remote (unlike their DVD remotes; see my review of the 523-GD for explanation) I was a little wary of JVC as I have had a so-so luck with a DVD and VCR from them, but this baby works great! The editing functions are different from Sony, JVC's are a little more difficult to figure out, but once you get used to it, it's just about as easy. The only complaint I have with the editing is the increments on this unit seem to be about 1/10 of a second. This is a little too long for me, as I like to make edits within songs quite a bit (removing 2-3 minute solos and such) and about half the time I can't get the cut directly on the beat like I always could on the Sony. It's only about 1/20th of a second off on these cuts and no one will really hear it, but it shows an engineering oversite all the same. Also The jog dial on the front is not synch'ed to the "notches". This is really annoying when I am trying to find a cut-point more than a second away from where I am. I spin it about 50 "notches" and it only registers 20 or so. Also moving the dial one "notch" sometimes fails to move to the next or previous song and you have to go one more "notch" to get it where you need to be.
Aside from these nit-picks, This is a great machine, the sound is great, sounds just like the CD it came from even on analog. Granted, I have not made a digital recording, as my CD has no digital out. Soon maybe. Also, the loading mechanism is so fast it's unbelivable! Nice change from the Sony.

Purchased At:   Ubid.com

Submitted by Jeff Young a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2000

Bottom Line:
Really wanted this model. Waited until I could get it cheap. This is my first component-style MD machine. I've had a portable Sony MD recorder since Jan '94 and wanted a home model.
Really big surprise: I have an 8-year old JVC receiver (RX-905) that has a DAT input and DAT controls on the remote. The whole system considers the MD to be DAT so everything works fantastic! Even on the remote.
After living with horrible Sony methods of entering titles from my portable, having an actual keyboard to type with is a dream. Also, upper and lower case lettering!

Purchased At:   E-bay auction

Submitted by Chris Abboud a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have mixed feelings about this deck. Sometimes I'll record an entire MD worth of music, only to find that the TOC doesn't write correctly, and i have to start all over. I've encountered this problem several times, and it's very annoying. I'd say this happens 10% of the time.

On a brighter note, it's very nice to program the JVC MC334 to play off of different CD's and have it record. Very hassle free recording (when the TOC writes correctly).

Submitted by Derek a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 30, 1999

Bottom Line:
I like this MD player. It has a great remote and awesome analog playback. Not bad for $250.

SFLAT: