Home | Reviews | Others | Denon

4.67/5 (9 Reviews)

Dolby Digital Surround Decoder

Submitted by James a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2013

Bottom Line:
Very capable decoder, especially using as a 2ch DAC now days as AC-3 is a little outdated. The dual BB PCM1702s in the main channels ensure very nice music reproduction, that means warm and yet detailed punchy sound. The sound quality is same as if not better than my DENON 2800 CD player, when connected to my Apple mac mini optical output.

This DAC is very flexible, has 4 digital input, being 2 toslink and 2 coaxial. Has both fixed rca output and variable ones, can be used as a preamp. And yes it's remote control.:D

Submitted by etischer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
Sounds great and gives the user tons of flexiblity. I have several carver 2 channel rack mount amps. Having this preamp allows me all the freedom in the world to hook things up how I want. If I want more power, I just have to swap out an amp instead of having to change my whole system. The sound quality is much better with this decoder than with the built in decoder in my dvd player.

There is a Master volume control, as well as 6 gain controls for each of the surround sound channels. These gain controls are configured for each input, so the gains can be setup differently for each component, ie lots of sub for the dvd input, lots of center for the tv input.

This preamp also has a 6 channel input. I bridge my 2 channel stereo input to the front L&R, sub, and rear L&R input channels so I have pure unprocessed stereo sound from all my speakers. This works great for filling a room with music since most Dolby digital recievers do not use the sub or rear channels when playing 2 channel stereo.

There is also a stereo line out for recording purposes and an optical out.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by John T a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 14, 1999

Bottom Line:
I've been continually upgrading my HT system this past year, and in making the final move to separates, this came in line... I'd been using a Technics DD/DTS decoder - for decoding DD, it was pretty much OK, but it was typically "bright and harsh", as with most inexpensive digital processing. I'd read that this Denon was a great-sounding unit, and affordable.
Anyway, finally got it, got it all hooked up, and calibrated (with Video Essentials DVD - recommend this over the Denon's own test-tones - they were off a little.) MAN, does this thing sound GREAT!! The Technics decoder sounded like crap compared to this. This Denon puts you in a deep, lush, very warm and open soundfield. (Of course, speakers and other gear also affect this - I use Paradigm Performance series speakers, Rotel RSP-980 THX pre/pro, and various amps, including B&K & Accusonic.) I put on my favorite DVD for soundtrack material - The Fifth Element, and while I've watched this movie many times (simply for the soundtrack), I began hearing (subtle) details in the audio that I never noticed before. The soundfield is SO realistic, I felt like I was IN the movie! I then switched to Dolby Pro Logic mode, to compare it to the Rotel THX, and the Fosgate's famous "70mm" mode. The Denon DPL sounded best, with better separation and detail. Next, I put on some music CDs, including some surround-sound stuff. Very warm, lush, and detailed, again. Just for kicks, I put on some R&B, and boy, did everything sound big and fat, with plenty of high-end detail. The 5-channel stereo and Matrix modes were wonderful, as well.
I say, if you can find one of these, and can't afford the Lexicon-level of processors, get one of these!

Submitted by PML a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 24, 1999

Bottom Line:
I've owned this excellent digital pre/pro since Jan. '98 and has been one of the best purchases for my A/V system I've made. It simply sounds superb...Dolby Digital, PCM Pro Logic, Stereo, and even the DSP modes are all top shelf. I was recently able to buy the Sony SDP-EP9ES for $300 and after all the great reviews I've read about it, I figured it would replace the AVD-2000 and I would use the Denon in my second system. Not so, the Denon sounds better (see my review of the EP9ES in the Pre-Amp review section if you are trying to decide between these two). Simply put, the Denon sounds cleaner and smoother in all modes and has features like dedicated stereo record outputs that make it a better choice for seperates-based systems. Denon's "Matrix" mode is also great. I use it nearly every time I listen to CD. Unless you need a processor with tone controls, I say get the Denon.

Submitted by Ed a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 20, 1999

Bottom Line:
I've had the Denon AVD-2000 decoder in my HT system for about a year now. This unit can be used as a stand alone preamp processor in an all digital sourced system or as 'add on' to a pre-existing Prologic/analog based system. I use the AVD-2000 in the latter situation with a Fosgate model 4 preamp connected to the Denon's 6 channel inputs on the AVD-2000. This allows the option to process all my analog sources (vcr, cd) through the Fosgate while allowing Dolby Digital processing of my DVDs and digital processing of CDs through the AVD-2000. The other surround modes offered by the AVD-2000 when using a digital source such as a CD are also excellent, especially the 5 channel stereo.
The AVD-2000's menu control system is the only thing that initially drove me crazy. It has a long learning curve in that it is not the most logical and intutive design. But after you finally master it (lots of practice to get the hang) it becomes second nature.

One unique thing this unit has that most other DD processors and receivers don't is control (on/off) over a Dolby Digital standard setting called "Dialog Normalization". This default setting almost always cannot be defeated in most processors and receivers. It can be switched OFF on the AVD-2000 unlike even Denon's other DD receivers. I find that I prefer this 'OFF' setting since it creates a more dynamic and full front sound IMO.

The AVD-2000 has a warm sound that is common from Denon products. Build quality is excellent.

For those of you who have high end analog processors like the Citation 7.0 or the Fosgate 3A or 4 and the likes and want to keep them for their warm 'analog' sound processing, this unit would be a great choice to add DD if not having DTS is no concern. The AVD-2000 can be had new on Ebay often for less than $200 now.

A excellent review of the ADV-2000 is availiable at the British home theater magazine website of 'Home Cinema Choice' at...

Another option for the ADV-2000 is to add an analog to digital converter to allow processing of analog sources like VCR and TV sound. A 'ACKDAC' by Holtmods can be added to the AVD-2000 which makes this unit into a compact, quality processor for a simple separates based home theater system. I'm thinking of adding one to mine. Info on the ACKDAC is at..

All in all, the AVD-2000 is a solid piece with great sound. And is what I would call a 'sleeper' in the HT industry. Highly recommended.

MS 1400W: