Caig Laboratories Pro Gold Contact Cleaner Others

Submitted by cicone a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
Got a 5 ounce can each of DeoxIt and ProGold for about $30 including shipping. This stuff is the real deal. Brought it home after a long week and sat down with a beverage while trying to motivate myself to tackle the spaghetti pile of cables behind my equipment. It so happened that I had two flashlights on my workbench and I couldn't resist the test that I saw on the CAIG website. A little DeoxIt on all connections, wait a minute, wipe things off and follow with ProGold. The flashlights looked like they had brand new batteries...maybe even better!
That provided all the motivation I needed. Three hours later all connections were treated...banana's, rca's, bare copper wire, cable tv coax, power plugs(unplugged, of course), sVideo jacks, as well as everything they attached to. This is the best tweak since my DIY bass traps. The noise floor went to zero. All hiss completely gone. But best of all, much smoother high end and virtually no sibalence. Ahhh!

Purchased At:   tape warehouse, atla

Submitted by Steve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
I am generally skeptical of most audio “tweaks,” and the people who promote them. I even get a laugh, every now and then, from some of the more ridiculous pseudo-scientific claims I have read about on the web. However, as I researched product reviews and the claims that Caig Laboratories makes about their products, specifically “DeoxIT,” and “ProGold,” I have to admit I was intrigued. So, I bought one of their “sampler” kits, and tried it out on my stereo: the RCA interconnects, the bare copper wire of my speaker cables, and the dual gold-plated banana plugs that my speaker cables connect to.

I don’t want to rave about something that may just be due to the infamous “placebo effect,” but if my ears are any indication, the stuff really works as claimed! The sound seemed fuller and less harsh in the upper frequencies. I got the impression that my system produced higher volumes with less “effort,” if that makes any sense. Caig Laboratories claims that their ProGold product can result in a 25% reduction in contact resistance, which may have been the mitigating factor. Even if there really wasn’t any improvement in the sound, and I just imagined that it “sounded better,” the stuff really does protect the gold/silver/copper/nickel contacts on my cables and components, and its lubricating properties make removing and inserting RCA plugs a whole bunch easier.

So, if you’re in the market for new, “better” interconnects, my advice is: save your money, and buy some DeoxIT and ProGold. Highly recommended!

Purchased At:   Caig websie

Submitted by Philip Canard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have used Caig Deoxit and Pro Gold for many years professionally on biomedical equipment, as well as my audio gear and test instruments. Use Deoxit to clean up dirty contacts and remove oxidation and use ProGold to prevent further oxidation and as a preservative on new contacts. Caig makes special brushes that will clean out your RCA jacks very effectively, as well as disposable lint free cloths and swabs. I suggest you ask them for their catalog or visit their website. Once you get your contacts very clean, you will rarely need to use either product. I do mine about once a year. There are many times that using Deoxit has saved me from replacing switches on the equipment at work. Use the full strength liquid if you can, and use the sprays on the stuff you can't reach with a swab, as well as for cleaning off surface residues. If you order a bottle of pure Deoxit, it comes with a very fine metal tube applicator for hard to reach spots. Highly recommended, the best contact cleaner/preservative I know of. Use more often if you are connecting/disconnecting your cables a lot. The price I listed is for a kit with two small bottles of fluid I bought years ago. Prices vary according to product, packaging, and quantity.

Purchased At:   direct from Caig

Submitted by steve0 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have been using the caig deox-it and have`nt tryed pro gold yet.
I noticed a difference in sound and detail straight away as soon as i had finished spraying and it offers good protection against future oxidization

Submitted by Matthias Menz a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
I certainly can validate what Edward below established. At the time I used to clean all contacts just with alcohol. As this works even every half a year I was surprised about the improvement that the craig fluid brought on top.

The high´s improved the most, very pleasant. If your system starts sounding dull: Try it. Soundstage and the ease of presentation was a good amount better. And I have the feeling that it´ll last for longer than with pure alcohol.

One of the cheapest/most effective tweaks in audio.

Gear: