Burmester 948 Power Conditioner Others

3.2/5 (5 Reviews)

Submitted by tapsa a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2007

Bottom Line:
Amazing product,sound is more accurate,smooth,bigger,very pure,i am own many powerbox but 948 is own league,it really works,i use 948 with Transparent ref cables,Burmester 001 cd,Burmester 911 mk 3 amp,Velodyne 1812 sub and Acapella Triolon Excalibur because i want hear my system all.happy listening tapsa

Submitted by Steven Driver a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
I was using the PS P300 PP for front end and pre and everything was fine until a friend recommended me Burmester 948 Power Conditioner,he told me he plug all his equipments his system sound execellent,but i used it,damn damn damn the Burmester 948 make my system sound colored,muddy,boxy,dry on the upper region.Lucky for me i sold it without any loss.i'll probably stick to my PS P300 or upgrade to P600 so I can plug in my power.Personally I think this Burmester 948 makes cheap equipments sound better.

Purchased At:   audiogon

Submitted by Andrew Cheung a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
When I plugged them into my Cello system, everything sounded dead and anemic. The whole system lost it's drive and musicality. Clearly not suitable for better designed system. When I took them off , my system became much livlier and musical. Tried selling them, but the resale prices are bad.

Purchased At:   HK

Submitted by Thomas Heisig a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
Well I am no friend of power conditioners, because I think, good electronic should sound the way it has to. Of course I tried several units and all of them did the usual: Improve the low frequencies but after a while they kill some of the highest frequencies and they sucked the air out. Very easy to find out: Remove the filer after a week and listen to your system again.
The only useful position was for my record players, there was nothing to destroy and they helped clearly to hold or to support the rpm's ( for CD Transport too ),
So I lost interest for these units.
But then I heard from 3 manufacturers which did go a own way, and my interest started again.
1. Accuphase PS 500
2. Burmester 948
3. PS Audio 300 or 600
All of them go a much better way ( this is serious engineering, for info go to their web sites ).

Well Accuphase was never my cup of tea, PS Audio is good but all the variations is made for US power ( 60Hz; here in Germany we have 230 V, 50 Hz) and with import and tax they will be very expensive. I had the chance to try the Burmester and installed it in my rack and connected my whole front end into it. Amps directly to the wall.
First, I was going to see a huge drop in background noise ( and my pre's are really superb ). Not the noise of the system without any music playing, but the noise which is behind the music. The grain that hangs between the the instruments and contaminates the soundstage. Some people think that the musical background is black, with the Burmester doing it's thing is not just black, it's obviously silent. That's right. The difference is so big that I simply can't miss it. The effect on instrumental focus and overall transparency is difficult to exaggerate, but one thingI'll noticed is a smaller, more compact image. And the air is still there.
After connecting there was more gain, first I thought, my kids did turn up the volume, when I was outside, but after controlling, it was regularly in my listening positions. It was not subtle.
Really interesting is spacing the notes and more importantly, the spaces between them. Suddenly you can hear the rhythmic choices made by the players. You get a sense of the musicians placing their notes for maximum effect.
The whole musical picture becomes more natural and each instrument is more readily identifiable. And dynamics are scaled far more precisely too.
In essence the whole sound becomes more organised and the music's shapes and patterns more obvious.
It's easier to understand, and far more dramatic and enjoyable as a result.

A product for everyone ?
No, it is very expensive, but those of you readers with an excellent system will know from what I'm writing.
This unit is really good.

Regards
Thomas
System's Components:

Turntable: Well Tempered Super ( Marigo )
Basis Debut Vacuum Mk.V
Arm: Well Tempered ( Marigo )
Graham 2.0 Deluxe
Cartridge: Benz Ruby ' Open Air '
Takeda ' Miyabi '
CD Transport: Goldmund Mimesis
D/A Converter: dCS ' Delius '
Audio Resolution Ref.
D/D Converter: dCS ' Purcell '
Phono Preamp: Stan Klyne 7 PX 3.5
Line Preamp: Stan Klyne 7 LX 3.5
Power Amps : 2 x Jeff Rowland ( Mono )
Golden Tube SE 300 B
2 x QUAD II ( Mono )
Speakers : Kochel ( Horns )
Reference 3A 'Aura'
Tuner : Magnum Dynalab ' ETUDE '
+ Signal Sleuth 205
Power Cables: XLO Ultra
Record Cleaner: VPI HW 16.5
Power Conditioner: Burmester 948
Rack : Solid Steel

Plans for Future: none, only listening

Submitted by Chris Leung a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 19, 1999

Bottom Line:
I bought the 948 simply because HP of the absolute sound lists it as a four-star component. The magnitude of the upgrade after plugging the preamp/dac/transport/power amp into the 948 is simply UNBELIEVABLE. It seems to me that the distance between each individual musical instrument has become REAL. I can hear things which I can't hear before. (I already used the ONE interconnet and XLO Limited Edition before I bought the 948.) The noise floor reduces to the abosolute minimum. I strongly recommend any serious audiophile to try this 948 out. Although it is just a conditioner, the weight of this active device is more than 30 pounds! In short, it is a serious conditioner for serious audiophile. The only drawback is of course the price at US$4999.
For those who are willing to spend 2k on filter like the Transparent Power Isolator XL, please save your money and buy the 948. It is simply no match.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile