Black Diamond Racing Cones MK3 and MK4 Others

4.33/5 (12 Reviews)

Carbon fibre isolation cones

Submitted by arcls25 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is my 2nd review for mk3 and mk4. I made further improvements in my system. First I put granite under the audio rack which is Finite Element's Pagode, carrying all my equipments even my big power amp Audio Research VT-200 at bottom. Previously the rack was sitting on the carpet. This improved dynamics and soundstage significantly, but with metal spikes under the rack the sound was too bright. I put a combination of MK4 and MK3 cones under the rack over the granite, and the result was so satisfactory. Then I put a second block of granite under my power amp and a combination of MK4 and MK3 between them. A huge improvement again, details, dynamics, soundstage all improved. I changed cones under my cd player from MK4 to MK3 and also put BDR Source Shelf under my cd player and another set of cones (all MK3) under the shelf and pagode rack. Marvellous! Source Shelf is something every serious listener should consider. A big step over cones.
Finally I put granite and mk4 under my speakers which originally sitting on the carpet with ordinary metal spikes. It was such a significant experiment for me how distortion due speaker movement was degrading the sound.
Total result is a very dynamic and detailed system with a better soundstage without being too bright or over-analytical.
Black Diamond Source Shelf and cones gave me the sound that I have never realized or dreamed before with the same equipments I have. A very serious upgrade due to lowering distortion. Definetely recommended. Do not attemt to upgrade your equipment unless feel confident about distortion performance of your system!

Purchased At:   amusicdirect.com

Submitted by arcls25 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
I tried MK3 and MK4 versions for my Audio Aero Capitol 24/192 cd player. MK3 softened the music more and it became too relaxing. MKr worked for me, it increased the details and dynamics improved. I got better resolution especially for bass details. Defitinely recommended. Both MK3 and MK4 should be tried to see the impacts on the system since each have different characteristics on music. It is hard to believe such a small identity makes a significant impact on music.
System:
Audio Aero Capitol 24/192 cd player (directly connected to the power amp)
AudioResearch VT-200 power amplifier
B&W Nautilus 803 speakers
Transparent Ultra Bicable speaker cable
Transparent Reference balanced connector
PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, and Lab II power cords&AC cables.

Purchased At:   amusicdirect.com

Submitted by Ron P a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
These cones are a no brainer given their modest price (80$ for set of four) and outstanding performance. Probably the best upgrade next to purchasing higher quality components. Placed the Mk 4s under my Alon II Mk 2s and the soundstage opened up unbelievably. The highs took on a new silkness and bass tightened up and extended dramatically. Upon placing a set of Mk3s under my CD player, the music became ever so sweet and engaging, not in your face or laid back, but extremely "live" sounding. Also placed the Mk3s under my REL sub. The REL was never boomy to begin with, but adding the Mk3s resulted in taught, visceral bass, that really adds to the drama of big soundtrack movies. DJ at Black Diamond really stands behind his products and offers a full money back guarantee so trying them is risk free. Mine will be staying permanently. These little beauties should be on everyone's short list of must have cheap tweaks.

Purchased At:   Black Diamond Racing - direct

Submitted by ken a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2000

Bottom Line:
I put these (MK4) under my HK FL8350 Multi disk CD player and they did help out quite a bit. The sound warmed up somewhat and the bass really tightened up. I didnt get an improvement in soundstage but the system sounds a little more balanced now. With a better system at the stereo store, I heard a much bigger change. I was hoping for a similar large change but at least they do help.

Submitted by Shawn Harvey a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
I first auditioned these in a Denver high-end audio store and was very impressed with what they did for the sound when placed under both the equipment and the speakers (speakers didn't have spikes at the time). So, I bought a few sets.

Since then I've tried them in every imaginable way with both a Linn system and my current system (see below), and frankly I can't tell they make a bit of difference at all. I can't deny what I heard in the store, but I also can't deny that they don't do jack for me now. Well, they do make really good equipment spacers.

For the record, I've also tried sorbothane, vibrapods, AQ Big Feet, and a lot of home-brew things. No effect whatsoever.

Four stars because I know they work.
Four stars for value -- they aren't cheap but they aren't that expensive...

Associated equipment:

Sony DVP-S7000 (CD transport)
Illuminations D-60 digital wire (Great wire)
Lexicon DC-1 DAC/pre
Kimber PBJ interconnects (upgrading soon)
Plinius SA-100 amp (awesome amp)
CAT 5 DIY cables (really nice for the money)
Joseph Audio RM22si loudspeakers