Amperex 6922 Others

3.75/5 (4 Reviews)

Preamp Tubes

Submitted by Danny C a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 12AX7.

I bought these from Richardson Electronics 6 mos. ago. They arrived a few days later. The sales person was couteous and prompt. I installed them with Top Hat Dampers in my Cal Audio Alpha DAC. I liked what I was hearing and thougt that the purchase was well spent. The sound was clean and clear with plenty of detail. I was originally going to get some "original" Amperex's but was told that these were original's. When they arrived, they looked pristine with clean lableling and a spec sheet. I thought that they were back in production.

6 mos. had passed when I was in one of my listening sessions. I had my lights dimmed, cold one in hand with some James Taylor playing! Then all of a sudden I get a "RUSH". Not the kind from a substance, but from the tube's crapping out! I turned off my DAC and let it cool down and tried it again to find out the tube's had gave up the ghost.
The JAN Philips went back in and all was o.k. once again.

I have my doubts about NOS/Premium tubes!

Purchased At:   Richardson

Submitted by Ru-Sern Cheok a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2000

Bottom Line:
I would like to clear the air once and for all.
Amperex stopped making tubes many many years ago.
Recently, Richardson bought all the testing racks and the naming rights to Amperex and started selling tubes as Amperexes. However, these are NOT real Amperexes but Philips ECG and other types being REBRANDED as Amperex.

The REAL Amperexes were made in Holland and USA in the Amperex factories which have long since closed down. In general, the REAL Amperexes sound really great. Nice low and high ends and also a beautiful midrange which can sound too warm in some applications.

The RICHARDSON Amperexes, however, pale in comparison. From what I know, similar tubes can be bought for less than $10.

SO, if you want real good sound, look for NOS (New Old Stock) Amperexes, Mullards, Telefunkens etc. If you can't afford these, then get Philips ECG or Sovtek for 10 dollars. Just don't buy Amperexes from Richardson - not worth the money.

Please refer to the following sites for more info:
www.audioasylum.com
(look under FAQ and Joe's Tube Lore)
www.vacuumtubes.com
www.soundstage.com/tubeor/tube.htm

Purchased At:   Internet

Submitted by Ronald Mitchell a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
I brought this tube to upgrade my Ah Tjoeb cd player and when i install this tube i was floored by the beauty that came from my speakers it sounds like i was not listening to speakers,it was like i was in a live concert., And the jazz bands were in my living room. awsome! I think all people who have a Ah Tjoeb CD player should upgrade if they have not already.

Purchased At:   Richardson Electronics

Submitted by Sean Waring a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 19, 1998

Bottom Line:
I know this is not a preamp, there's not a category for tubes. I think it would be cool if there were. Anyway, on to the review. I had been using Sovtek 6922's in my Audible Illusions L1 until I recently tried a pair of REAL(look for yellow and green box) Amperex 6922's. What a difference. Gone is the muddy bass. Detail and soundstage have improved markedly. Definitely the best investment for the least $ I have ever made in my system. One note of caution: Make sure you get these from a dealer who tests them for microphonics. A microphonic tube in a high-gain circuit can feedback, causing wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

6SN7, 6922 or another???

I owned a couple of monoblock but no Preamplifier. I'd like to have a tube pre... I do not know much about tube. Some friends told me that pre with 6SN7 is good for Vocal, Jazz, Jazz-Pop... but some said that 6922 (6DJ8) is better... :frown2: So, please help me! Could you please give me some reviews ... Read More »

60.0 WA BLACK: