Alesis Masterlink ML-9600 Others

Hard Disk recorder and CD-Burner

Submitted by paulwbranner a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2006

Bottom Line:
This a follow up for the ML 9600.
I am glad I invested more time getting familiar with the 9600. This deck is to be reckon with. No doubt it is a challenge to master and make reference recordings. I suggest to have at least 5 blank cdrs to make mistakes on and get the hang on how this decks really works.
The build quality is excellent and it feels great to touch. I grade equipment on how well it performs and how the switches respond. The Alesis is truly audiophile quality. This is not for your typical everyday person who wants to burn a cd for a friend or whatever, nor is this piece of equipment for the entry level audiophile. The Alesis is a professional piece of equipment.
I am glad I owned recorders in the past. Now I have a totally different appreciation for recording. Now, I book time to do a session. I put together tracks for critical listening. Which is everyday. Yep I listen everyday. This is part of my lifestyle, I make a point of it...
The sound of the 9600 is as good as it gets. It far exceeds my reference sacd player.It is truly hard to see how companies get away with what they charge for their products. I most recently listen to the 10k Linn, and the 9600 sound was so much more. This is without applying the DSP.
Not only the Linn but the Krell,Ayre,BAT,Sony, just to name a few, all was out classed!
Where the Alesis moves so far ahead of what's out there is the flexibility of recording. Recording on Hard Drive to put your favorite tracks in order or out of order, then a cd is made. A red book cd can even be put on Hard Drive. This establishes a playlist. There are 16 playlists with 99 tracks within each list.
The most impressive feature is to be able to apply DSP to each or all the tracks. From more gain to trimming the mid to applying compression. The 9600 delivers.THIS IS A SERIOUS PIECE OF DIGITAL EQUIPMENT!
Again the ML/9600 is not for the fly by night hobbyist. This is for one who takes this journey seriously and expects the best always.
The ML/9600 is by far way ahead of any recorder on the market today. My listening is on a whole completely different level now and believe me I do expect the best. ALWAYS!

Purchased At:   American Musical Sup

Submitted by paulwbranner a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2006

Bottom Line:
I really like this deck. I was looking for a recorder to replace my pioneer. I looked at the Yamaha and the Tascam. Both of which are pretty good and has gotten good reveiws. I went with the Alesis. I like the look and the options. I am just getting started with ML 9600. I made a recording on the hard drive and cd. It is really hard to believe how good the Alesis really is. I didn't expect to consider selling my reference player. It's that good. I will give an update after I really get to know this deck. Stay tuned!

Purchased At:   American Musical Sup

Submitted by monolith a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
I'm simply shocked at how good the converters are on this thing. I never knew. The Masterlink sounds rich and detailed. The low end extends into the lowest octaves with authority and depth. Even simply playing CD's is a joy. Very involving sound. I'm mixing to half inch analog tape from the Masterlink and the results are gorgeous. I tried the Lucid AD2496 and it sounded hashy and two dimensional. The Masterlink extended nearly an octave lower than the Lucid. Try the test yourself! I'm surprised there isn't more hype about the sound of the Masterlink ... I almost didn't use it and am glad I did my a/b tests.

Purchased At:   Mac Midi Music

Submitted by mudukwon a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
The Masterlink 9600 is just great! It makes cds that sound better than
the originals in some caese. I t allows me to rearrange and edit many
aspects of my music, allowing me vast flexibility. And for $1K, what
a deal. Build quality is a little lacking but the rich feature set makes
up for that. Only thing si sthe cd doesn't sound that great for
playbakc. I bought the 30 gig model.

Purchased At:   Guitar Center

Submitted by Greg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
The Alesis Masterlink ML-9600......one word: WOW. It's basically a no-brainer: you establish a playlist, record tracks into it either through analog or digital inputs (at either 44.1, 48, 88.2 or 96khz), with available word lengths of 16, 20, and 24 bits. You can then re-arrange, crop, split, re-join (handy for cutting or adding verses, etc.), add EQ, compress, limit, and normalize (yuk!). Then you can burn either a RedBook compatable CD, or Alesis' proprietary "CD24" which contains AIFF files, that are playable on either Macs, or PCs.

I was more than a bit surprised to see this reviewed here (considering this is primarily a home audio/video site). The Masterlink is aimed more towards the semi-pro to fully professional recording studio environment. But I can see where it would be VERY valuable to DJ's, etc., that re-record, and re-arrange tracks for later playback.

The Masterlink is NOT simply a "CD recorder", per se, but a production tool. It's quickly becoming a standard for mixdown in lots of studios. It's also a wonderful tool for recording live performances. I'm VERY proud to be a Masterlink user; I think we're going to see this little jem around for quite a while.

Purchased At:   Sweetwater.com