TEAC AG-V8600

Submitted by Don Jones a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2011

Bottom Line:
I purchased this stereo amp/receiver over a decade ago at local big box store for approx. $200,00; at that time, it was better priced for what I needed as a replacement amp/receiver that was showing its age and didn't have surround-sound capability. The new TEAC AG-V8600 matched well with my Cerwin-Vega floor speakers and some off-brand shelf speakers. Although the 8600 has a line-level subwoofer output, I have yet to purchase a subwoofer, per ex-wife's complaint that I was already playing my classical music too loud.

After 12+ years of service, my 8600 is still playing like new, and I have no plans of replacing it in the foreseeable future. The only drawback I have experienced with the 8600 is that the spring-loaded rear speaker outputs sometimes loose their grip on the pins soldered onto the ends of speaker wire. I would have prefered a speaker wire terminal with a more positive grip. Still, the LCD displays are still fully functioning and the analog controls, i.e. treble, bass, volume and balance still operate smoothly.

Since I am not an audiophile, but more of a casual listener, I cannot tell how high the "highs" are or how low the "lows" are, but I believe my speaker system more than makes up for any deficiencies my 8600 might possess. The 8600's remote control fully operates all of the front panel features. I might suggest that one utilize an external antenna for FM stereo reception. The 8600's FM tuner end is sensitive to FM stereo broadcasts only from maybe 25 miles distant. However, if your local cable TV service provider is still pumping analog FM stereo along with digital TV, then why worry about an external FM antenna.

If you can still find a new or used AG-V8600 out there in cyberland, and it's priced less than $150, I would go for it. Again, from the perspective of being a casual listener, I believe the 8600 is a great surround-sound stereo amp/receiver. I don't know about the quality of TEAC newer products, but for its day, the 8600 was definitely a winner in its own class.