Sherwood Newcastle RVD-9090R
Description: DTS/Dolby Digital/Dolby Pro Logic - 100 Watts x 5 Channels - 2 Optical & 2 Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs - S-Video/Composite Video In/Out -

Submitted by theraoulduke a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
Others have focused on the audio qualities of this brick. I'm no audiophile, but it has sounded just fine to me.

However, while the sound might be okay, I must warn everybody that the usability of this device is, well, for poop.

My problems with it might all be addressable, with sufficient time and energy dedicated to examining the manual (yes, I *have* read it several times already), and performing trial & error experiments upon the box.

But that doesn't count as good usability to me. I mean, come on folks, this thing isn't an F16.

My main complaints:

1) The remote control is a nightmare, overloaded with buttons for other Sherwood devices etc.

2) Tuning a radio station is hell. Seems like you have to preset everything once and then you are okay. I have not grokked how to get it to scan nicely, and save stations I like.

3) The OSD is all in block capital letters. Yeah, that's rule 1 of all usability manuals I'm sure.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by dharmaboy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
I know that I'm late for this review. I bought this receiver in hopes to add home theater to my life while still enjoying my music collection. I have had the RVD-9090 for about 3 years now. I can tell you that it is one SOLID VALUE with great transparancy and an overall sweet sound. I listen to all genres of music esecially classical and jazz. The sound of each individual instrument has to be realistic to my ear. This receiver paired with a good speaker system that takes up to 100 watts, great speaker wire and of course good individual components make a surprisingly great sound (for a really inexpensive price)! Someday I will try what others have done with their 9090, using it as a pre-amp and powered their speakers with a seperate amp. But I have been more than pleased with the sound quality on music and movies.

My system:
Sherwood RVD-9090
NHT New Wave 5.1 Speaker system
Replaced NHT sub w. PSB Stratus Sub 7 (15")
Denon DVD-2900 w. Art DIO tube DAC on Analog
Wireworld Horizon Speaker Wire
Various mix of Wireworld & AudioQuest Cables

Purchased At:   800stereo.com

Submitted by Eric Lowe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
This receiver is a godsend for anyone looking for excellent Dolby Digital/DTS sound reproduction in a sub-thousand dollar product. There are TONS of inputs on the back and one, including S-Video, on the front. The DSP modes are fair, and stereo and pro-logic reproduction are very good, but the Dolby Digital and DTS reproductions are incredible. Anyone with a satellite/powered sub system should have no problem getting enough juice from the power supply of the 9090R. Those with larger speakers and pre-amps can take advantage of the 6 separate pre-outs. I have used this product for 18 months now and have not been disappointed yet. Wonderful receiver that can be had for a great price.

Purchased At:   800.com

Submitted by Anthony a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is an very good A/V receiver. Firstly, as a 2 channel receiver, I am very happy with sound reproduction. Stereo output is very good, although the wick (volume control has to be wound up before we get enough sound to eliminate ambient noise. The volume control does not operate on a linear scale as the sound between 0-40 is nothing like the increase between 40-50. Anything over 60 (out of 80) is just crazy. Either you live on a freeway, or you are near deaf. I wouldn't risk the tweeters going for more noise.

I only like to use DD or DTS. The 3 sound field and Prologic don't do anything for me. I agree with another reviewer in that I would rather have paid less for the receiver in the absence of these gimmicks. The DD and DTS reproduction are magic. Sound is crisp and clean. Also, in DD and DTS, you really appreciate the binding posts. There is nothing worse than fiddling around the back of the machine trying to fit speaker cable into a hole. On the downside, although rated at 100 watts (1 channel only driven), with all 5 channels, it is (I believe), around 45 watts. But really, I think people look at power output like they do top speed on cars. Just because a car can travel at 330km/h, doesn't mean its better than a 180km/h car, when the legal limit is 100km/h. Remember folks, you TV speakers are probably only 5 watts (max) and I bet they make a hell of a lot of noise when they ate turned up, so what sort of person needs 100 watts of speaker sound.

I would like to say, this receiver is the same as the AMC R9, which retails here for $US700. They come out of the same workshop in Korea, and have an identical rear panel. Think about that.

By the way, if anyone here considers themselves an audiophile, and reckons this is a great receiver, then your full of $hit. A true audiophile, firstly wouldn't buy a 5 channel receiver. They'd buy an amplifier with 5 discrte power amps for each speaker output. Seperate components will produce much better sound quality. What we have here is a box that can do lots of things. So if an audiophile is trying to convince you to buy a receiver, question their integrity.

Why is this a great about this machine is that it will run very cool after hours of operation. Unlike Sony products which produce enormous amounts of heat, this Sherwood product has enough heat dissaption to alleviate all fears of frying the internals.

If you buy this unit, you have to run it in for about a week before you get the best quality sound. Seems like we need to get rid of the cobwebs (so to speak).

Please ensure you give this receiver good, efficient speakers. Look at anything with a sensitivty above 90db's. Any for heavens sake, use good speaker cables.

Purchased At:   Good Guys

Submitted by Mark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is an update. If you have the Sherwood RVD9090R for around $300 or less, and you add a power amp for your fronts - you are IN BUSINESS!

I enjoyed this receiver right from the start, but I have to second the other reviewers' criticism about power. I have 4 ohm speakers as fronts, and while it sounds OK, it doesn't sound excellent.

I pulled my old Sansui integrated amp out of mothballs and use the Sherwoods pre-outs to let the Sansui power the fronts. A powered sub handles the bass and the Sherwood just drives the center and rear.

Set up in this fashion, what I basically have is an awesome value in a pre-amp, with the power to the center/rear as a bonus.

With all the excellent switching/decoding in this unit, and the super-convenient on screen display, this is just a tremendous value!

I'm mainly updating my review so I can urge everyone with this receiver to get a budget power amp for your fronts - and you will see a world of difference. Set up this way, I don't give one inch to Harmon Kardon, Dennon, Yamaha, Onkyo, or anybody else.

I'm confident I have the most performance possible for the money with this Sherwood - provided I get some help driving the fronts.

Score a 5 all around. If this had better power (could drive low impedance speakers), it would cost > $1000 and be worth every penny!

Purchased At:   Frys