Nakamichi AV-10
Description: Audio / Video Receiver - DOLBY DIGITAL AND DTS SURROUND DECODING -Seven analog audio inputs plus four composite video and S-video inputs - Three composite video and S-video outputs, including monitor output - Stereo Mode: 120 watts/channel - Surround Mode: 100 watts x 5 channels

Submitted by mathew a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2010

Bottom Line:
good for watching 5.1 movies

Submitted by Landy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2006

Bottom Line:
This is one of the best equipment I have listened to. Sweet sound and clarity. Easy to operate. I have not been disappointed with the choice.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by erik lunder a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
Good but unlogic machine. The bass, power and dynamic makes the shortcomings less annoying. I am confused about the comments about "sweet treble". Not on my machine !!

Purchased At:   local dealer gothenb

Submitted by kostja a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
Sound quality

When it comes to straight stereo, it just exceeded everyting I've expected. I got to admit that I didn't hear any true "high-end" HiFi, but this one is better than any dedicated stereo budget/mid-priced amps I've listened to before. Tight bass, sweet treble, open, intelligible mids, power to spare etc. A very good (again, compared to the stuff like Pioneer DV 717) DAC. Add the convenience of a fuss-free "home theater" use (where my former Yamaha A595a was good as well, but completely in a different league sonically), and I would certainly buy it again, even for more than I actually paid. Can't say much about specific "home theater" qualities - it just sounds - for us, that is - good with movies too.

Setup/functionality

Well, it does not have the same toys as even the aforementioned Yamaha A595a, but honestly I don't care. Compared to Yamaha's modes, which quickly fell off grace with us, the AV10's "natural" mode is really being used. And the learning remote is also used. Installation is straightforward (and you don't need OSD with it), even though, agruably, in some setups the options may be insufficient (read professional reviews for that).

I have two complains: output level jumps when you switch between "straight" stereo and DSP modes (which is a nuisance), and there are no 5.1 inputs, which can become a real problem in the future (well, I *already* have some Stones on SACD ;-)).

Build quality

On the outside it is pretty substantial and good-looking (and heavy), but I would say nothing exceptional. On the inside (under the hood) - not very good at all, given the retail price tag: I'd wish some electro-magnitic shielding (given that it has DAC, auxiliary digital (display panel, remote etc.), and video switching circuits), better cables (I've seen better ones even in a Technics, albeit a pretty old one - the more modern ones may be worse too ;-), and not very tidy when it comes to assembly. Toroidal transformers, and probably some more filtering caps in the power supply would do some good as well. Also, a better quality cooling fan would be wise too (but that can be easily fixed "DIY").

Actually, I did have another complain that was fortunately quickly resolved: the amp produced noticeable buzz alreay at listening levels, which in the end turned out to be assembly-related (see below).

Service

It DID exist, at least for me!! When I got the problem just described, I felt pity because it did mean some serious reverse-engineering (oh why don't we get the principle electrical schemes these days??!) and research. I suspected just grounding problems and interferences due to poor cabling, because I just could not admit that the problem did exist when the thing was designed and its mock-up was tested. Then, very sceptical of the outcome, in particular since I mail-ordered the unit from the UK while living in Sweden, I e-mailed both the UK and US Nakamichi offices describing the problem and asking how can I fix it DIY. AND I did get replies! A person from the UK office just told me what I have to do (bend and pull apart some cables, that's it - damn interference! :-)) Needles to say, I was very pleasantly surprised!

My setup..

Pioneer DV 717 (for audio used only as the transport)
Nakamichi AV10
Yamaha NS200 main speakers (bi-wired)
Oehlbach speaker and audio cables

Over the years I heard a lot of usual Pioneer/Sony/Denon/Yamaha
etc. mass-market stuff..

Purchased At:   RicherSounds (UK, so

Submitted by expisces37 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2003

Bottom Line:
Great reciever. Has enough juice to power a city block. When i first purchase the av10 on ebay i was afraid it wouldn't be powerful enough to run my paradigms. My fear quickly went away as the av10 pushes my speakers to the next level. My old setup was a panasonic HT400(230$)cheap reciever which came with even cheaper throw away surround speakers. I am now able to hear much more from my speakers seperation is awesome, bass tighter and the highs are very smooth. This amp does wonders for music compare to the panasonic which produce muddy bass and terrible sharp highs. Music seems to be much fuller now. The av10 is also great for Home theater i am able to pick up background details which i never knew existed before. The av10 also has a very smart remote control which truly program all your other devices not like the cheap RCA programable remotes. This is a great amp for both music and HT.

Purchased At:   Ebay