Kenwood VR-6070
Description: A/V receiver with THX Surround EX, Dolby Digital EX, and DTS-ES

Submitted by amperidian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2004

Bottom Line:
Bang for the buck this is one of the best units that I have ever seen. It has endless possibilities for the beginner-intermediate level. And although mine was a demo model (last one in the store) I still think this unit is an excellent buy even at $350 US.
This unit offers a automatic THX equalizer for movies suporting this format, music/movies/tv active equalizer, speaker equalizer (sm, med, lrg), independent speaker volume settings (loudspeakers via test tone menu and all others on the fly via setup menu), DD, DTS and CS 2 surround modes with all their varieties in 5.1 and 6.1 surround sound setup and 6 DSP modes (arena, jazz club, theater, stadium, disco) for surround sound (some of which are automatically recognized).
This receiver can also be used as a 7.1 channel preamp (Kenwood's separate K-STAT pathway) with any 7 channel amplifier when signal is received via its 6channel coax input, something I have never tried because I personally find 6.1 very adequate for my room.
Sound may be input through analog or digital (optical and coaxial). I personally prefer optical for movies (although Kenwood does not offer one of the better circuits for digital sound) and analog for music from a separate CD player. But for its price, you really can't beat it for sound.

Stereo is well imaged, reasonably transparent and soundstaging is present but not very well defined. This mode sounds best with all equalizers bypassed, especially the active equalizer which dramatically increases and already present noise floor (hissing sound from speakers) and makes the sound very bright.
Surround sound is where the equalizers do very well, in terms of room optimization. Different modes are left to indiviual preferences, but experimenting with all of them selects favorites. Dolby Digital is automatically selected for movies supporting this format and sounds very well. DSP theater is by far my favorite in all movies that only support Pro Logic II. DSP jazz club sounds very smooth and laid back with excellent reproduction of female vocals. DSP disco does justice to any house/drum'n bass/techno/dance music. Classical music can be enjoyed in stereo as well as in surround sound formats: CS 2 or DTS Neo6. New age sounds best in stereo, as does rock'n roll. These are all my tastes, not to say that music can only be enjoyed in those formats.

In terms of power, the 6070 is rated by Kenwood at 100W/channel x 6 and does very well even when left with a CD player on for 48 hours non stop at volume -44 (max is +17 but I find volumes over -10 fatiguing to the ear). The unit's temperature increases moderately but it does not overheat and it has NEVER shut off due to overheating, and it definitely does not reach the temps of class A amps.

In terms of image quality, component video cables are the way to go and this receiver does an outstanding job in component signal transmission. Image is clear and very well defined, a major improvement from composite cables if you have an HDTV television.

If you really want to bring out the best in this unit, get a pair of med-high end analog interconnects, a pair of speaker cables in the same class as the interconnects, a good CD player and a good set of speakers ($2000 US can do a good job here), hook it all up, burn all your components in and ... hear it for yourself! You won't b disappointed. But by then, you will realize that this is the weakest link in your chain (the irony of upgrading audio systems is that the "upgrade" never ends) and you will start looking for a better receiver that will cost at least double (possibly even $3000 US for top of the line). Or if you want to spend more like $10000 you can opt for entry level separates (preamps/processors, amps) ... and so the list goes on, neverending obsession that it becomes. The only thing is that old saying "you pay for what you get", which is true but in hi-fi audio especially, where you have to pay extreme amounts of money for minor improvements, some of them not even discernible to the untrained ear.

Finally, for all those of you who own this unit, it is nealry identical to the 7070 (which is offered in silver as opposed to the black of the 6070) with very minor additions to digital inputs. All the circuits are the same, there is no difference in sound. If you have one, make the most of it and enjoy it. I know I'll miss mine when I upgrade.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by rock2004 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
Very good stuff for the price. I never saw it shut off as others say ( I cant hear it even in the 0 dB ) It pushes my polk audio RM 6000 5.1 speakers very well.
Has all the stuff u need like dolby, thx DSP...
I dont't need a $1500 receiver and receivers cant get much bether then this.

Purchased At:   toronto

Submitted by Josh a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
The main thing that you have to keep in mind about this system is that it cannot be compared with higher end THX models. You get what you pay for, right? That having been said, I think that anyone that shells out $400 clams or so for this receiver can't go wrong. There are ample connections on this model. Component, composite, s-video and optical are all included as well as pre-amp outputs and a handy little second room hook up.
The movie sound reproduction is very good on this system and it truly is another step up on the receiver ladder from say a $300 system. The JVC that I owned before this was just flat out outclassed by this Kenwood. I am pushing an eight speaker system right now and I have had very few problems with heat and the unit shutting down. I am running Fluance 300 watt speakers for my fronts, Klipsch center and rear channels, Fluance right and left surrounds and an Acoustic Research sub. It pushes all of these at -15 on the dial with no problem (that is about how high I can stand it in my room).
I would have no hesitation in putting my system's sound quality up against a system at twice the price. I have the chance to listen to plenty of them at my job at Circuit City and, except for the Harmon Kardon hooked up to a top of the line Bosse system, it sounds as good or better. There is no way it touches the other THX receiver we have there, but this doesn't cost a thousand dollars either.

Purchased At:   I forgot

Submitted by Johnny Thunders a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
UPDATE First off I replaced the Kenwood VR6070 from the basement where i like enjoying music very loud while I am at my computer.I knew If i kept it loud and i knew the machine would get hot and will keep shutting off and will die.So i put it in my entertainment center upstairs where i know It will sound good and be be much lower and will not get as hot,I just bought a Onkyo DRC-500 with built in 5 DVD disk reciver with the same watts but not as many features at J&R Music for $199.Now i can Rock and keep it loud and the Onkyo does not get hot and I am enjoying my MP3s and everything else with this receiver.Johnny

Purchased At:   B&H Photo

Submitted by donald beaubien a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
this is a follow-up review from 06-18-03 on the 6070 (audio problems)problem solved ,kenwood reps are the best !!!!

Purchased At:   best buy