Kenwood 7771

Submitted by Pete a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2000

Bottom Line:
The remote volume is tricky, is too complicated also--a touchscreen would've been much better.

No S video jacks.
Ok sound.

The looks got me on this one--shoulda got the Yamaha instead.
You pay what you get for; I'll get a Denon next time--bet that'll rate 5+ stars.

Submitted by E A a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
I purchased this little beauty at $214.00 US dollars on Okinawa. Only because it was on the resale rack and that the new V7772 was out.

100watts x 5/120 watts x 2 via stereo. 5 DSP modes, Arena, Jazz Club, Stadium, Cathedrial, Theater. 5.1 DTS/DD(AC-3)/DPL & Dolby 3 Stereo. Full range of outputs n inputs. Except my model did not have any S-Video hook ups. Oh well didnt need em anyways. Very effecient cooling via the heat sinks which dissipates from the top and out the back which makes it perfect because my entertainment center where the reciever sits can only cool out from the back with the glass doors closed up front. Cranked it up with out it shutting down like my previous Pioneer amp which shut down within a half hour.

The remote was a pain to learn at first. In order to use it properly you have to make sure it is pointed at the reciever so it can send and recieve information from your unit. The manual was helpful and easy to follow. The trouble shooting part was straight and to the point which made hooking up and running the unit in no time.

Kenwood V7771-D does put out pure clean sound, havent heard this good of a sound since my Yamaha 2090 reciever which my wife took in our divorce...the wench. With the Kenwood
LS-710 speakers rated 180watts at 8ohms up front, combined with my Pioneer S-H301,3 sattelite, C/LS/RS, 150watts, and 200watt powered Subwoofer. It really does put out Kick "A" sound in any Surround mode or even Stereo mode, although the 5 DSP modes are OK, which I really dont use except for Jazz Club. Its a Kick "A" reciever for only $214.00.

Submitted by Kingpin a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 7, 1999

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Kenwood based on some favorable media reports on the unit.

At the time, I paid $1500 Australian Dollars, some $500 less than the equivalent Yamaha product. I was tempted to buy a Yamaha, but previous experience with Yamaha blowing up under heavy load led me away from them. Sony are much the same.

The unit has HEAPS of video inputs, complete with S-Video, including a front connector (I consider this feature a big MUST in an A/V receiver for PC-DVDs and video cameras). It also has both optical and coax inputs for digital audio, speaking of which, it has AC3 and DTS decoders on board.

It also has heaps of grunt. 100W x 5 for HT use and 120W/channel in Stereo mode (all figures RMS).

The remote is a work of art. It features an LCD display and a little joystick. Hassle is it is a little cumbersome to use. On a brighter note, it is NOT heavy on batteries (unlike a certain Sony remote). A set of alkaline batteries should last a good 6 months or more (I have NiMH rechargables in mine). The remote can also handle just about any other remote you have, from CDs to Cable TV. the only remote I have that it didn't like is an old Commodore CDTV.

It doesn't feature all of those (useless) sound settings as featured on a Yamaha, it has just 5 built in. I prefer not to use them anyway. They are a bit of a wank.

One important thing that the Kenwood has is a Phono input. Many modern amps/receivers have dumped this feature. Whilst the old record may be a thing of the past, many people (like me) have large LP collections (I have over 500). Shame it only supports Moving Magnet cartridges and not Moving Coil, but there is bugger all support for MC in any brand these days.

But the most important thing is that the Kenwood 7771 delivers pure clean sound to the speakers. It really does sound good, especially when compared to my old Sony STRAV 1070 Pro Logic unit or my Yamaha CR 2020 stereo receiver.