Harman Kardon AVR7200
Description: HARMAN KARDON A/V RECEIVER 100WPC 7.1-CH DVD AUDIO SACD MULTI-ROOM => Model AVR-7200

Submitted by SennFan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2005

Bottom Line:
Being an HK fan I was excited to hook there "flagship receiver" into my setup and let it do its thing. Disappointment ensued when the center channel failed to work and went awry after about 2 hours of use. However lets move on and chalk it up to improper shipping. I can still speak of its other functions as I was able to still tinker with them. The onboard Faroudja video processing is a waste of time unless your one of the 4 people in the US still using Laserdisc players and NTSC regularly. Essentially it's a marketing ploy and I urge you to not be fooled. Here you may see a marginal improvement at best over your current processing abilites. Instead rely on the video pro capabilites of your universal player for HT etc and use good cables obviously. Secondly, I was extremely disappointed with the power this receiver fed to my speakers. The binding posts are spit. Also, all of the interconnects and analog inputs are still the less expensive, cheap garden variety (flagship?) and aren't well designed for either spades or bananas. Do they really honestly believe people buying $2500+ receivers use bare wire? The looks are awesome and the onboard audio processing is phenominal, but this is true of all the recievers in their product line IMO (I currently have my trusty 230 set as my pre/pro and really enjoy it). So, I'm not a Harman Kardon basher! I love their products and they never disappointed so one can naturally see my extreme disappointment with this product. Finally I'd like to mention that their products aren't on the intuitive side of things, and can be difficult to setup if you don't know what you're doing. However, fear not for the instruction manuals are well written and helpful at times when you need assistance. Instead of going for this particular unit I highly recommend instead that you look into their _30 and _35 series receivers as they're all excellent as a seperate.