Denon AVR-55

Submitted by JM a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this receiver at Sears as part of a package deal that included a Denon DSW-30 subwoofer(8" 80 watt)and 5 speakers. I got rid of the 5 cheap speakers and replaced them with all Paradigm speakers. I decided to keep the sub. It's very musical and blends well with my Paradigm Titans in the Front. Now I have a great sounding system. This receiver is the same as the AVR-1100. They just change the face and power ratings so Sears can sell it as a different model. It's rated at 60 watts but has plenty of power. In 2 channel music this receiver really shines. The detail and seperation is outstanding. For movies the Pro Logic decoding is excellent. For a while I wanderd if I really needed to get a Dolby Digital decoder. Well because this receiver has a 6 channel input, I decided to give it a try. So I picked up a used Technics SH-AC300 dolby digitial decoder at a pawn shop. WOW! I couldn't believe the difference. When I put in a movie now, its hang on to your hats. The sub really comes to life because of the dedicated LFE channel. Overall this is a fine unit. The sound quality is outstanding and it delivers it with plenty of punch.

Purchased At:   Sears

Submitted by Jeff weiss a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 1, 1999

Bottom Line:
I got my denon avr-55 as a gift from family frieds. At first glance i was like wow nice this is awseme and dont get me wrong it is a very expencive unit. But after about 1 week it had already fried somthing and they said it was not my fault. somtimes the bass just turns up and blows my speakers i would recomend buying somthing else.

Submitted by Neil a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 30, 1999

Bottom Line:
Hua? Other review says is Digital Ready?? I think not! Honestly I sold my AVR-55 for an Onkyo TX-DS575. The onkyo is WAY better! Spend the bucks and do this right!

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by SS a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 3, 1999

Bottom Line:
I purchased a refurbished unit from UBID about a month ago for $162. It's a Dolby Digital Ready receiver that I'll soon be hooking up to a Toshiba 3109 Dolby Digital DVD player. The Pro Logic had sounded great on it until the past couple of days, when it pops out and only plays on the two front speakers. I'm kind of disappointed that I have to send it away and pay for shipping to get it fixed after only a month. (Buyers beware of refurbished models!)
Three stars for the performance until now.

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener