Denon AVR-4800
MSRP  1999.00
Description: THX Utra Surround EX A/V Receiver • THX Ultra 5.1 and 4.0 post-processing • Component video switching (2 inputs, 1 output) • DDSC-Digital Dual Analog Devices SHARC 32 bit floating point DSP processors • Learning and pre-programmed remote control with GLO-KEYS • 8 assignable digital inputs (5 optical, 3 coax); 1 optical output for digital recording to CD-R or MD • World's first THX Surround EX A/V Receiver • 7.1 Widesreen DSP mode, other DSP modes, including 5 Channel Stereo and 7 Channel Stereo • DTS decoding with DTS "ES" compatibility • Composite and "S" video switching • Record output selector • Download the owner's manual and/or product literature • 1 or 2 pre-outputs for connection to external power amp to drive 1 or 2 THX Surround EX surround back speakers • Automatic THX Surround EX and DTS "ES" detection by data bitstream flag • Manual Suround EX activation • Assignable power amplifiers let you use front L/R amps to drive surround back L/R speakers, pre-outs to drive external amp for main front L/R speakers • THX Ultra certified • Compatible with Denon's THX Ultra certified POA-5200 2 channel power amp • DTS decoding • 7.1 channel pre-outs for future system upgrade • 125 watts per channel X 5 channels • Dual Surround Mode Speaker Switching; one surround pair for music, another surround pair for movies • Real 24 bit, 96 kHz D/A conversion on all channels, featuring premium Analog Devices DACs (8 DAC channels) • Multi-Room dual zone/dual source pre-outs • Real 24 bit, 96 kHz digital input interface • 7.1 channel inputs for future audio format (such as DVD-Audio, SACD multi-channel) • Analog stereo bypass for stereo analog sources • Dolby Digital and Dolby Pro Logic decoding entirely in digital domain • Video selector

Submitted by delmar gibbons a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
At first i was pleased with the avr 5600
then one day out of nowhere the protection cucuit came on. The unit was dead,took it back under warranty, it was fixed in about 6 weeks.Two months later while watching a movie it blew again.
Took it back and in 6 weeks it was fixed again.About 3 months later i turned to show a couple that had come over, did'nt even get to touch the volume level,it blew again.......once more it was fixed in about 6 weeks.They finally told me an out board item was the problem.all wires are monster,banana clips.my harman kardon works perfectly with my speaker combo..
The other day my wife turned it on and puffff,blown again .......i give up..I'll get it fixed and use it for a fishing weight.please don't buy this product.

Purchased At:   goodguys

Submitted by psyopwak a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
Well I waited a long time to get this receiver.

I actually read almost ALL of these reviews,
which I think are invaluable to consumers
who love audio/video equipment. I really
had to wait for the price to drop to a point I
could convince my FONSAY was reasonable.

The 4800 is really very good. It has a much
CLEANER sound than my Yamaha RXV-890
did. The Yamaha was warmer, but less detailed. Maybe the DAC's in the denon make
the difference. I am learning all the functions
of the unit now, and I actually like the fact that
it has a fan, later incarnations of the AVR-4800
ie 4802, 4803 do not. It has never come on
but it is there to protect electronics. DTS, DD
and DIRECT modes sound great. I had SAE
seperates a long time ago (A501 amp, P102
preamp) and this unit sounds MUCH better.

My only gripe is that the ASSIGNABLE amps
are limited. I wanted more flexibility with hook-
ing up an AMP which is CLEANER. But the
Denon will only let me use it when I have programmed it for 7.1 not 5.1 I wanted to
simply run two channels of the 5 with the

Phillips Hi Fi VCR

Purchased At:   e-bay

Submitted by DTH a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
This has been discussed here earlier, but I would like to reiterate how bad Denon customer service is. After owning the 4800 for 5 months it died on me. I took it to a "Denon Authorized Repair Center" who kept it for a month before they told me that they could not get the correct parts from Denon to repair it. Then I sent it to Denon. Four months later I got it back and it has been fine since then. Denon had it for a good percentage of the warranty period.

This is a good product, I have been pleased with the performance. But is it really better than other receivers in it's price range? I'd say it is better than most receivers, but not all(Onkyo, Marantz, Outlaw & Pioneer Elite are just as good if not better) Is it better than decent separates? Maybe some, but definitely not all.

If you try hard and shop around you can do better and find a company that supports it's products and cares about it's customers.

More recently I had a Denon Progressive Scan DVD/DVDA/CD carousel die on me. It was only 2 months old. Denon has had it for a month and I am guessing they will have it for a lot longer. I will never buy or recommend another Denon product. Clearly I have had bad luck with Denon. But should you really have to ask yourself how lucky you feel before spending ~$1500 on a piece of electronics?

Submitted by tread553 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
there is not a better receiver made at this price.i came to this conclusion after subscribing to these magazines,and owning this receiver for over a year.. sources:the perfect vision, sound advice,hometheater,stereophile guide to home theater,sound and vision,stereophile,sound advice!there is a moron who put forth his review 4 reviews earlier . his sentences do not make sense! are we to seriously consider his and others negative comments about this receiver? there should be an IQ test for these reviews!!!!!!first, one should know the rating in watts at 8 ohms for their speakers. secondly,keep the volume at reasonable levels.third, purchase speakers up to the task.fourth,read the instructions....

Purchased At:   sound advice

Submitted by tread553 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
there is not a better receiver made at this price.i came to this conclusion after subscribing to these magazines, sources:the perfect vision, sound advice,hometheater,stereophile guide to home theater,sound and vision,stereophile,sound advice!

Purchased At:   sound advice