LINN AV-5103

Submitted by Colin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2015

Bottom Line:
I purchased this unit locally on Craigslist. I have Linn speakers for my A/V system (AV 5140/5120/Sizmik) and thought that I would try to put together Linn amplification as well. I paid $400 for the AV-5103 which I now understand to be a steal, even given its age.

Given the lack of Linn power amps at prices that I could afford, I decided to use the 5103 in my 2-channel system, displacing the pre-amp function of my Musical Fidelity CD-PRE24 (see full system below).

My first comment on the results has to be a caveat to those of us who are not that tech savvy when it comes to programming! The 5103 and its companion 5101 remote (Linn calls it a handset) are not easy to set up. Admittedly I was at a disadvantage in trying to program it without the benefit of a TV display. It took a few frustrating hours but eventually I managed to get five sources successfully loaded. It was worth the effort!

In 2-channel stereo I am using a mere fraction of the 5103's capability, and the same can be said for the 5101.

Both units are aesthetically very pleasing. Elegant.

As for the sound, wonderful! I shall not wax lyrical in the way of your average Stereophile reviewer - I don't have the vocabulary and most of the verbosity makes me cringe anyway. Suffice to say that the Linn brought a clarity and depth to my system that I had not heard before. I loved my Musical Fidelity pre-amp but the Linn is at a different level.

So now I need another unit for my A/V room!

Two Channel System:

Pro-ject Wood deck and Linn Adikt, NAD PP2 phono stage
Pioneer RT-707 reel-to-reel
Rotel RT-940AX tuner
Sony MDS-JB930 minidisc
Musical Fidelity CD-PRE24 cd player
Musical Fidelity A3 power amp
Qudos speaker cables, various interconnects
Spendor SP7/1 speakers
Boston Acoustics PV1000 sub

Submitted by bjm a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2003

Bottom Line:
The clarity of this preamplifier is truly astounding at times! I thought my previus McIntosh unit was good, but the 5103 really is a different level. I like the small footprint of the piece, and also the ease of use once it is properly setup---

Set-up however does require some time and a willingness to delve deeply into the very good manual. This unit allows for unlimited choices in setup. Inputs and outputs are individually assignable and allow the user to configure them in unique ways to fit system demands. It is also possible to easily "name" each input/output so that its name is shown on the front display. All of this flexibility is also the 5103s weakness---it does take time to comprehend. This is definitely NOT a device that you will be able to just unpack and play. Most new buyers will have the dealer handle the setup, but if you are buying it on your own, be prepared to face a steep learning curve. The 5101 remote comes with its own huge manual---and I found it much more difficult to setup than the preamp! But, you'll be able to run the world from your easy-chair once everything is input.

Beyond the set-up complexities of the 5103 is the payoff---it is a truly stellar performer!
As an audio-video processor, movie DVDs have a impact that provides tremendous realism. I've observed no steering artifacts between speakers in either Dolby AC3 or Pro-Logic.
This is supposed to be a dated chip compared to current higher MHz processors, but the "proof is in the pudding" and this one is really well done.I use this unit's processor to decode redbook CD instead of the higher MHz processor in my Sony unit and I think it sounds better.

As an audio preamplifeier, the 5103 provides both the delicate details and powerful slam. It is smooth, clean and has a very "black" background.

This is the most expensive piece of equipment I have every purchased, and it was a real "gulp" to pull the trigger on the purchase, but it has proven to be one of the best buys I've ever made.

Truly outstanding performer!

The rest of the system:
Linn AV 5125 five channel amplifier.
Sony 900NS SACD/CD/DVD player
Linn Unik surround speakers

Purchased At:   Demo

Submitted by linn5140 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
The Linn 5103 is the best pre-amp I have ever had the chance to listen to. Not only does it make the music and movies sound so clear and natural, but it is extremely quiet and cuts out any background hum even at loud volumes. Linn really hit a homerun with this unit.

Purchased At:   Sounds Like Music

Submitted by Rass a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
Ahh the Linn 5103. After agonizing months over what componets to choose for a multi-channel home theater system, I finally decided on the 5103 along with the following system:
Linn 5130
Linn 5125
Linn Ninkas
Linn Trikan
Linn Index (rears originally purchased 10 yrs ago still awesome)
Rel Strata Sub
Arcam Dvd 88
Piano Plus Projector HE 3100
Still deciding on a Screen
LK 400 Speaker cable

This is a very high class system. When I first installed it and listened sound was all over the place. My girlfriend couldn't even tell which sounds were coming from wich speakers. There really is something to say about an all Linn system. Clean, clear and very musical. Very Pitch perfect. I was truly amazed and still am. Movies are truly magic almost overwhelming with sounds going all over the place. Best to make system strong all over. Either Linn or other Hi end componets. Much better sound than you could ever get from any theater.My next upgrade will be to add another 5125 amp to really achieve separation and dynamics.

Purchased At:   Overture-Audio

Submitted by hugh kleinschmidt a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
linn 5103 system consisting of - 5103, two 5125, 1 klout,keltics up front (fully active)melodik sub,2 pair sekrets as rears and 5120 for centre.karik numerik cd player.
on first listening i could not beleive the detail and quality of sound.on music dvds it was like hearing music for the first time, the way sound projected around you made you feel as if you were there.playing movies made you realise that the sound makes the movie alive.using a sony dvd player at the moment waiting for linns new one soon

Purchased At:   jim tate audio solut