Fluance AV-SC
Description: A flawlessly made two-way technology center channel speaker system. In the listening environment this speaker gives an exciting performance. With superb sound radiation and rich timbre, it converts the audio signal into an incredibly wonderful vocal experience. In movies it actually seems like the actors are speaking to you in the same room! Center Channel Speaker System, Magnetically Shielded, MDF Wood Construction To Reduce Cabinet Resonance, Ferro-fluid Cooled Tweeter For Longer Life, Butyl Rubber Surrounds For Increased Durability and Performance, 5 Way Gold Plated Binding Post Terminals for Optimum Conductivity, Banana Plug Compatible Connectors, Removable Flush Fit Grills, Tuned Rear Bass Port for Controlled Low Frequency Response, Crossover Features Butterworth Design, 18 Gauge Lead Wire to Reduce Signal Degradation

Submitted by Travis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2011

Bottom Line:
Phenomenal speaker for the price! No complaints. Great build and great sound! Whether purchasing for your main system or for a smaller one, this speaker will not disappoint.

Submitted by Gilles Callaghan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2010

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for sound front and center Fluance is the speaker that will answer you request. Quality,well built accepts all kinds of wires also accepts banana plugs. This center or rear speaker compares to any other high end speaker on the market. the only difference is that your walle feels a lot better.

Combined with the AV-BP2 you can't go wrong. Quality, well made, well balanced great sound. Can't go wrong just compare, and beleive I did I am using them with a Yamaha HTR5750 and they respond to it.

You might need a sub if you want more depth.

Submitted by magikamos a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2008

Bottom Line:
This is a good sized center channel speaker. If you are looking at this for a system, you need either large main speakers to cover the lows below about 180 Hz, a designated powered subwoofer, or both. Either way, you need a receiver that allows you to cut frequencies below their range to prevent damage. For anyone out there that might think a few of these will displace a big box for the low frequencies somewhere in the room, you are wrong. Then again, that is the case with any center or surround speaker and that is not their design in the first place. There is a quick audio buying education below.

I have built and designed many full home theater systems that ran into the several thousand dollar ranges on audio components alone. I get paid for my services. These systems have included Nakamichi, McIntosh, Krell, Velodyne, Definitive Technology, and the high-end components of Harmon Karden, Onkyo, Pioneer Elite, Yamaha, Klipsch, including many tube-amplified systems, just to name a few. Saying I am “picky” about audio is a gross understatement.

One might ask, “Why would he buy these for his own system?” It is a very valid question with a very valid answer: PRICE. These were part of my second home theater room. I originally bought these speakers as “disposables” that I could use temporarily until I got the money for others. After installing and adjusting them, I have no plans to replace them whatsoever. They sound far better than many of the bipolar speakers I have installed costing several hundred dollars a piece. This is an excellent center speaker and it is an UNPRECEDENTED bang for the buck.

I have pieced together and installed hundreds of home and car audio systems. I have not dealt with, nor will I deal with, crappy components. I always felt the end-result sound was a reflection on me, and I did not want that reflection to sound anything less than impressive. While many of my customers and friends have ridiculous money to invest in things like this, I allotted less my budget for financial and other reasons offered below. Over the 25+ years, I have come to realize many things. Here are some words of wisdom if you have the time.

MORE EXPENSIVE DOES NOT EQUATE TO BETTER. Often, manufacturers price an item way high and get away with it just because it is unique, not because it performs well. Listen to an “Acoustimess” system as a perfect example. If you think it sounds good, either you are impressed by the name, or you have never heard decent speakers. They are “neat”, but that is it. VERY tinny highs, lacking mids, and VERY limited bass. B0SE 901’s: yes; “Acoustimess”: no. There are countless other examples with other manufacturers. BTW: This crushes the sound of the “Acoustimess” cubes.

YOU WILL NEVER KEEP THE LATEST TECHNOLOGY. What may be “new and hot” at the time will turn into standard amenities a few months later. Decent receivers made two years ago exceed the needs for most buyers and have more features and functions than most people could ever hope to understand, or even need to understand. Buying a top-end component when it has been out for a few months saves from 20-60%. Having the coolest new thing quickly wears off, quality and money saved are permanent assets.

LOUD DOES NOT EQUAL BETTER. I have always tried to “overbuild” systems so that they could handle more power than the listener’s ear cared to endure. That is not to say that a system needs to be “earth rattling” loud; it just needs to sound clean at the maximum volume that the listener would need or want. If you live in an apartment or town home, save your money and do not buy a ‘mega-watt” system. If you ever turn it up to the limits, you will likely be looking for a new place to live. Another technical note: peak wattages should never be confused with RMS wattages. Speakers rated at 100 watts peak will sound like crap and distort terribly when you pump a genuine 100 watts RMS into them. Speakers rated at 100 watts RMS will produce an almost infinitely cleaner sound. Ignore peak values and go by RMS on amps and speakers unless you fully understand slew factors, headroom, and other technical parameters.

SUMMARY: Get the best bang for your buck. Sampling rates and features have far surpassed what most listeners could ever hear, let alone understand. Avoid the Superstores when possible. They have good deals on some components, but they will make up for it with pricing on cables and assorted other crap they push on the buyer. Need a good center channel speaker? Throw this at the top of your considerations if money is at all a factor. Buy it. You will not be disappointed and your wallet will be thrilled.

Another reviewer commented on the lack of highs. Without an adjustable system, that might be a problem. For me, it was not. I also do not care for the super crisp highs that became popular with the digital age. Life is analog and so are the sounds.

Purchased At:   Fluance.com on Ebay

Submitted by abstracta a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2005

Bottom Line:
I'll cut to the chase and describe this speaker with the following; muddy, inefficient, and lacking any dynamic detail. I've honestly heard computer based center channels that sounded better.

I planned on matching the Fluance with my pair of Alesis Studio monitors that are your typical 1" silk / 6.5" mid. Given that most center channels speakers use metal domes I figured the fluance would be a better sonic match for my silk dome Alesis, but I was wrong. When I put the Fluance on top of my set and tried to balance it, I found it impossible, and the inbuilt speakers of my 5yr old Toshiba sounded better.

The AV-SC is horribly inefficient (88db, and I consider that generous), has a non existent crossover slope, muddy sounding tweeter, and empty sounding mids. The speaker is otherwise built well, but it sounds bad. It honestly sounds like it's playing with a blanket over it next to my Alesis.

I paid $200 for my monitors, and while the Alesis perform well outside their price class, I was expecting better from the Fluance. Maybe the chinese are tone deaf...I dunno.

Purchased At:   Accoustic Sound Desi

Submitted by tomflynn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
I added this center speaker along with the matching front left/right speakers to my new 7.1 Sony home theater system as replacements for lower end speakers. The voice and low and high frequencies are reproduced perfectly. The sound reproduction is spectacular! Highly recommended!

Purchased At:   Fluance web site