Salamander Design Synergy S40 Six Shelf Audio Rack

Submitted by Glen B a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2005

Bottom Line:
I bought the S40 and when I unpacked everything noticed that one of the main shelves and one of the inner shelves has minor scuff marks. While there was some protective material, I thought it was inadequate. There was no cushioning material between the inner shelves so that they rubbed against each other during shipping. The manufacturer needs to put protective material between the shelves and fill in the empty space in the box so that the contents don't move about. That said, I took my time and put the rack together in about 2 hours. Assembly was straightforward and easy. I did not attach the rear panel. I can't use it with my fairly stiff, large diameter cables which stick out quite a ways in the back. Even the extended -depth shelf would not be deep enough. The manufacturer provided all the tools necessary for assembly which consisted two allen wrenches, a 7/16 inch - 1/2 inch open-ended wrench and plastic ruler with holes and markings to assist in positioning the shelf pegs. I thought this was a nice touch (now be just as thoughtful about the packing !). Some Synergy owners have griped about the shelves not being "real" (.i.e., solid) wood. Yes, the Synergy line is a bit pricey but, in reality what do you expect for $549 ? C'mon, you will not get solid wood for that price. Besides, some of the finest audio products are made of veneered MDF. The density of MDF can be a benefit in audio, where you want furniture to be non-resonant. My wife gives the S40 a score of 9 out of 10 on the WAF scale and that's a good thing. To the complaint that one cannot add extra shelf pegs without major dissassembly, Salamander has special inserts called "Easy Add Drop-in Nuts" that you can use with an assembled rack when you need to add extra shelves and other accessories. You just insert in the aluminum channel and twist. A touch-up kit is also available that can be used to cover up minor blemishes in the main shelves. In all I am very pleased with my purchase.

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor

Submitted by Yarvis a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
Without a doubt, the NICEST audio rack on the market. Mine is cherry with the side panels and the perfed front door. I waited 5 weeks for it to arrive at my dealer. (He told me that Salamander was back ordered due to picking up a new line of furniture. Hmmmmmmm....????) Anyway he assembled it for me. (at no charge) He left me with no instructions or any useful tools if and when I need to disassemble it. All in all it really is a great piece of furniture. Hides all of my equipment with class and has six shelves to do it in.

Purchased At:   Woodbridge Audio/Ste

Submitted by Dane Kara a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this unit as a floor demo that included the side panels and the penninsula attachment. So, I can't say much about assembly, but I dread the day I will have to take this thing completely apart and/or have to remove the top (in order to add more shelf brackets). In short, I will have to remove everything (about 7 peices of AV equipmentsand all wiring) to do so. Still, it is very sturdy, looks great (mine is cherry) and the wife fully approves. If it were half the price (new) I would give it a 5, but this stuff is absurdly over priced - as is almost all quality audio furniture. I do plan to oder a front door for it. In all respect to the other opinion, I see no need for a back panel IF you have a front door on it - too much hassle. Also, I was able to route all wiring along the inside of the shelves and the result was quite nice at hiding all clutter (audio/video on the left, power on the right - why don't mfgs. all put their power cords on one side!!!).

Submitted by Azeke a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
Asthetically pleasing audio rack, with a traditional flavor (walnut). Very sturdy, comes with a small leveler and ruler (nice touches). I am very pleased with it overall. There is an extended back panel (msrp $119.00), that I purchased, which provided extra wiring room. I also purchased the wheels (msrp.$79.00) for easy access to rear panel.

Purchased At:   Audiobuys Inc.