Polk Audio R50
Description: <ul> <li>video-shielded</li> <li>bass-reflex design</li> <li>frequency response 50-20,000 Hz (-3dB)</li> <li>8-ohm impedance</li> <li>sensitivity 90 dB</li> <li>handles up to 150 watts</li> <li>black hardwood veneer</li> <li>5-way binding posts</li> <li>9-5/16"W x 37-1/8"H x 11-15/16"D (with base)</li> </ul>

Submitted by Kevin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2014

Bottom Line:
These are pretty good speakers for the money. I'm pushing them with a Denon 3808ci and my amp gives these speakers all they can handle. Their rating is 150w max but they sound their best at 100w, at least with my receiver. When I approach the 10+ decibel level listening to music, they start to sound a little strained. However, these babies really shine when watching movies or Dolby digital tv and/or DTS. Very good mid level bass to compliment your sub. I'm pretty satisfied with these and have had them a few years now and been problem free.

Submitted by Mike Van Unen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have 6 of these set up in my 7 chan. surround using a 800 watt amp. Not only do I hear and notice things that I never have through other speakers they sound better then any other speaker I have heard because they are so plain accurate and warm sounding no matter what I play, via guitar pre amp, rock, country, movies, classic or anything audiable you would have to spend X10 times more to match the sound quality of these units. I push them very hard with my huge amp and they rock and I never blow speakers.

Submitted by powerguymark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2010

Bottom Line:
Bought these for $65.00 each through Fry's. I defy anyone to find a better value for less than $150.00/pair. As far as reported tweeter problems go, the vast majority of tweeters are damaged from over driving an under powered amp, not because the tweeters are poorly designed. (garbage in-smoke out)

Read-TheKid72's review of the Polk R50's- he is pretty much on target.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by P Carney a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2009

Bottom Line:
Sounded good for about a day. Like another reviewer, I heard things in my music that I had never heard before. I rate these low because it only took a day for the tweeter in my pair to fail. Polk has diasapointed once before with quality, albeit in car audio. Lesson learned. Save thy money and go for better as I did in car audio.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by Danopah a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2009

Bottom Line:
I've realized that you can really enjoy something for a lower cost if it saves you the money to buy surround and rear surround speakers to complement your 5.1 or 7.1. home theater

Strengths:
Mids, design, cabinet, appearance, imaging, versatility in placement. Heavy!

Weaknesses:
EXTREMELY LONG BREAK-IN PERIOD! I listened to them for months until they really sounded their best. Heavy!
6 inch woofer helped, but would suggest placing money for deep bass into a dedicated sub to maximize the performance to cash ratio.

Purchased At:   Clearance speaker In