AudioQuest VDM-5 Video/Digital
Description: VDM-5 Video/Digital <LI> Low distortion, low loss, wide bandwidth video / digital cable <LI> True 75-ohm impedance <LI> For composite video, SP/DIF digital audio, uncompressed HDTV, or cable TV / broadband <LI> 100% solid-silver conductors <LI> Hard cell foam insulation <LI>Nitrogen-injected dielectric <LI> Conductive PVC and silver-plated braided shield <LI> 100% shield coverage

Submitted by balloonknot32 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2006

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the Audioquest Hawk Eye digital coaxial cable. (No Hawk Eye thread in Audioreview) Add the DBS battery pack to a VDM-5 and you have a Hawk Eye.

I had a VDM-5 from my Sony S9000ES dvd player to my Anthem AVM 30 and the sound was great. After chatting with the guys at Trutone (great guys) they let me borrow a Hawk Eye to let me hear for myself if there was a difference. I never really was a believer of the DBS system until I heard the Hawk Eye. More details were present in the sound stage. The Hawk Eye was bringing more information to my AVM 30 to put it simply. Bass was improved as well. The opening battle scene in 'Master and Commander' sounded absolutely insane with the Hawk Eye. My M&K V1250THX sub was smoking with tons of clean fast bass.

In the end I kept the Hawk Eye and moved my VDM-5 to my HD/PVR. I'm still a little skeptical on the DBS system when it comes to speaker cables and the high end interconnects but on the Hawk Eye digital coaxial cable it made a significant difference. Fantastic cable. Highly recommended.

Purchased At:   Trutone Electronics

Submitted by raymond.leung a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2006

Bottom Line:
The Audioquest VDM-5 digital cable is a really good cable especially when you consider the price. The cable is well built. It offers good high frq. clear and shape vocal and good bass. The bandwidth is good and the focus is shape.
VDM-5 is more transparent than NBS Professional I have used which was about 6 times more expensive.

What else you can expect with $130 ?

Purchased At:   Hong Kong