NAD Turntable
Description: Semi-automatic, belt drive, servo motor turntable with variable pitch control and straight pipe tonearm

Submitted by Mark Williams a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2009

Bottom Line:
NAD is renown for making quality audio products at reasonable prices which is what drew me to this product when I found it at a liquidation store. I paid $50 for it with no cartridge or manual. I guess what attracted me the most was the name and it's sleek styling. It does have quite an awesome looking tonearm. but upon closer examination (after the purchase) found it to be inexpensively made as it is 90% plastic. Even the spindles that hold the 3 knobs are plastic. There is very little info on the net regarding this model but one comment I did find was that it is probably a "Rebadged" BSR unit as it was manufactured in great Britain. When I pulled off the platter, the typical gear mechanism you would find in a BSR was present. Again, lots of plastic. On the upside, the unit does run with no apparent issues. The tonearm has a very nicely damped queing lever and the miotor runs quietly with good speed accuracy (mind you, it's not quartz locked). I installed a shure M97xE cartridge that sounds great with the unit. Again, I was a little disappointed that it wasn't up to the quality standard of todays NADs (which are produced with the Rega design in mind) but I still feel, it was worth my $50. I don't know the original retail but would estimate between $200 and $250 at the time of production.