NAD 4155
Description: 1984-1987

Submitted by Tony Evans a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2016

Bottom Line:
Bought for buttons off ebay to tide me over whilst my Quad FM4 was in for service but I was favourably surprised by the quality of this unit and therefore have kept it for use in a second room. Surprisingly musical and sounded superb played through a NAD 3130 and some EPOS floor mounting speakers. Sound is rich and warm with plenty of bass without being thumpy. Treble is typical NAD i.e. restrained but detailed and the mid range vocals are also very clear.

I think that this was a mid-range unit costing about £150 and so I was expecting nothing special. I also tried it against a Creek T40 and was favourably surprised. It was slightly less detailed than the Creek, but warmer and more comfortable to listen to whereas the Creek can be a bit temperamental with some types of music.

The only fault I have is that the small capacitor that keeps the presets is very tired and hence the unit needs to be powered up every 3-4 days otherwise it loses them. I may well spend some time sorting this.

Submitted by Theo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
So many reviewers on this site have stated that tuners built from the mid 70's - the mid 80's, generally just have a better sound than from any other era [of course that does not include some of the higher end offerings ie;McIntosh,Magnum Dynalab,etc.]Like many of the recomendations they are correct. Based on the 2 previous reviews and NAD's reputation for build quality, I bought this NAD 4155 over the internet and am extremly pleased. Used with my Jolida JD1501 hybrid amp, this tuner puts out a very rich and warm sound. When I listen to the local classic rock station its like "deja vu" back to the 70's when I had a pair of Dynaco A-25 speakers. Just a beautiful sound.Also very good with jazz and classical. There are 5 presets, which is a plus, and the tuner sensitivity is good if not excellent.A great used buy under $150!

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by Jack Hrvatin a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have now been listening for over 4 months.....
I am a blues person and am lucky enough to be located in South Western Indiana, Evansville, IN.....
the Univestity of Evansville has a college run station with Blues on Sunday, Monday night...... WUEV on the net, try it!
Anyway, I have not hooked up my antenna and rotor, I use a simple TV portable antenna inside and aim for the best reception.............
This unit belittles all of the above except the Rotel.....but I do think the NAD is more full in sound............. I listen a lot and the old saying is it sounds like a CD..... well I am an analog person and this thing sounds like the top end of analog!!!!!!
I would sicerely like to A/B against this FM station I speak of but will never be able to...... while I was setting up my Christmas tree tongiht..... I listened very closely...... it is as good as you will find without spending $600 plus... check out E-bay and pick one up.......you won't be unhappy...... if you can find one for under $150 in good shape you won't be unhappy...... accurate, detailed, and full...... I appreciate NAD's mid 80's equip..
if need be e-mail me and I will answer questions....
thanks NAD

Purchased At:   auction

Submitted by Yves Simon a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2000

Bottom Line:
Digital tuner. Was medium-range / medium price in 1985.
But it is VERY musical. Got a wonderful reputation among audiophiles in Belgium in the '80.
It sounds warm, soft, AND detailed.
If not exceptional, the sensitivity and noise level are good.
In good condition, highly recommended if under $150.