Proscan PS36800HR Standard Televisions

4.7/5 (10 Reviews)

36" Standard Definition (SDTV) Digital Television - 950 Lines Horizontal Resolution - Scan Doubler - Comb Filter - Surround Sound Audio - Picture in Picture - S-Video, Component and SVGA Input - Universal Remote

Submitted by Donald Hays a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
The PROSCAN 36" HD has the best picture in its class that I've ever seen. Bright color, sharp crisp picture, and good sound. I've compared this TV to others in its class and this by far is superior. I also like the 38" HDTV by RCA. That blew them all away. Yes, even Sony!, and I like Sony!

Submitted by Hollis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
I looked at the panasonic 36 inch which I think is also nice but I am glad I went with this. Great onboard sound. Fantastic picture with vibrant colors. With the DTC 100 there are no scan lines, no flicker, and the picture is fairly sharp. Just added a HD oval dish and that is even better. The only thing one can say about a TV like this is how really bad it makes other TV's look. There is the new 38 inch which also is awesomw but with only a couple HD stations I decided to go with this. It is too much of a pleasure to watch.

Purchased At:   Good Guys

Submitted by Rod a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
Pros:
I run this TV with a DVDO iScan+ scan converter into one of the VGA inputs. The picture is amazing from satellite, DVD and even VHS tape. Film sources look as if you are viewing the movie through a window rather than on a screen.
The other VGA input is hooked up to a PC running 800x600 at 60Hz. A website, such as CNN.com, is very readable at this resolution from 10 feet away, using only the default Windows and browser font sizes. The text, while not as razor sharp as a 19" monitor would be, is pretty impressive for such a big beast. It is at least as sharp as the 27-29" NECs and Princetons used to be.

I used both Video Essentials and Avia to set the TV up and the default colour settings were not too far off. There is still a slight red push around 5-10%. The sharpness control does need to be right off. I am not sure if this gets rid of the SVM circuit, but you can sure tell that something non-linear happens between the zero and first click settings. You may find that setting the black level correctly on this TV leaves it too dim for the ambient light that you are used to. All my previous direct view TVs have been a lot dimmer than this one, when set correctly though.

The TV comes equipped with a lot of consumer helper functions like automatic flesh colour control and video noise reduction etc. If you play around with these things, you can get all sorts of wacky artifacts in the picture, like little brick patterns etc. In my opinion, the picture looks best with all these turned off.

The out of box experience was amazing even though I had seen it working before. It appears way bigger at home than it did in the store. I personally prefer the old dark grey body to the newer half silver one. I am not sure if they have changed the model number now. And by the way the stand is actually good, not garish, lots of storage space and strong.

Cons:
Scan lines are very noticeable when displaying any input from a non-progressive source. This is no different than any other TV of this size really. Perhaps a little less noticeable than the same sized WEGA even, but enough to bother me. If you are not going to use the VGA inputs, then save your money and get a cheaper TV.
In addition, this TV is far from being a flatscreen. I like the flatness of the WEGA but Sony needs to get its act together regarding ridiculous prices, geometry problems and digital inputs.
It weighs a ton. Get it delivered by huge guys. Tip them well beforehand.

Untested:
I do not use the internal tuner or picture in picture function, so I cannot comment on these. Also, the internal speakers are not being used and I thus I am glad they are so unobtrusive in the chassis.
I do not watch widescreen movies on this set either, as I use a projector for this purpose. Therefore, I cannot say how it performs in this mode.

Problems:
I have had two slight problems related to my unit so far. I am not totally sure that the ProScan is to blame, but I will mention them here.
The first problem would only be noticeable by someone who is very very picky about video. When displaying input from the iScan+, the top raster lines appear not to be straight across but have a slight depression in the middle. This results in about an eighth-inch bow. Apparently, this does not occur with computer input or non-progressive input from any source but there are overscan issues to take into consideration there. Perhaps this is even a problem with the iScan+ itself. I moved my center speaker off, just in case it was a shielding problem, but this did not change anything.
The second problem is that the TV resets itself once in a while while watching, as if some protection circuit is tripped and then it restarts. Perhaps this is due to poor power quality in my house. The TV resides on a heavily loaded circuit. It has done this maybe four times.
Also, it appears as if the red gun takes a few seconds longer than the others to start up. Whether this is actually physical or some sort of color control circuit that kicks in later, I do not know
Thomsons tech support is completely useless. They give useless advice like "there is no service menu for this TV" or "there is no way to disable SVM". The last tech I talked to seemed to think that all my problems were not normal behaviour for this TV though. At least the extended warranty is in house. I will post a follow-up to this review should I have further problems or find that the TV is not at fault.

Nice to haves for future models:
Discrete buttons for the inputs themselves on the remote(i.e. VGA1, VGA2, Component, SVideo1 etc) along with the existing buttons for devices like DVD, VCR that are then mapped to inputs.
More usable and higher scan rates for 640x480 and 800x600 modes. 1024x768 mode would be nice.
A second user customizable video control setting.
Anamorphic squeeze mode.
Non-slanted top for balancing large center speaker on. It is not so slanted that the speaker will fall off, but it is not flat either.

Summary:
The ProScan 36800 and DVDO iScan+ combined were still cheaper than the current 36" WEGA XBR. With this combination, I get to display computer input and progressive input from all sorts of sources. On the other hand, I can also use the DVDO to scan convert for my projector, so this partly influenced my decision. I am amazingly happy with this TV as its intended purpose as the last great 4:3 direct view CRT display device.

Purchased At:   Just HiFi

Submitted by jon a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
i paid $850 w/ a $200 stand.too many input and i like it.i have a rca dtc-100 hook in too it,picture quality is really nice.i have this tv in my master bedroom.there is no way i can sleep without wathing tv in bed first.i used to have a 32 inch wega and it does not compare to this one.

Purchased At:   friend

Submitted by Frodo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is the tv I've been waiting for. It does everything, and does it very well.
I kept my computer in the other room and ran the svga cable through the wall so I don't have to listen to the computer fan. A netsurf keyboard (radio signaled not infrared, so it goes through the wall) allows me to use the tv as a massive monitor. Computer and tv are hooked up to a digital amp with 5.1 sound. So whether it's Matrix or Thief II it both looks and sounds great. I even have my Visor palm computer cradle plugged into the tv's USB port. I've been wanting to put something like this together for some time. Thanks Proscan.
Frodo