Sony VPL-VW10HT Front Projectors

4.61/5 (31 Reviews) MSRP : $5999.00

Designed for home theater applications and also, ideal for home theater video postproduction and client viewing, Sony's VPLVW10HT High Resolution LCD Projector features three 16:9 panels designed for widescreen programming. This enables the user to view more information on screen. The traditional 4:3 aspect ratio is also available at the touch of a button. The VPL-VW10HT can deliver true XGA resolution. The VPL-VW10HT is HD Ready and has a Whisper Quiet Sirocco fan which realizes 30 dB fan noise, so that projection noise does not interfere with the home theatre experience

Submitted by justbrent a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2009

Bottom Line:
I bought this unit used, and I searched many projectors and checked out many reviews before purchasing this unit. The units I looked into were within $1000-$2000 up or down of the price of this units MSRP. However I paid nowhere close to this units new price, but all the units I were looking at were within a few hundred dollars used of the 10HT that I purchased. I've never owned a projector, and the wife did not want me buying an LCD flat screen. I compared; Hitachi, Sharp, the Bravia, Epson, Toshiba and Mitsubishi. I do not recall the actual models, but the MSRP wasn't too far off from each other. The models listed above had different ANSI Lumens, contrast ratios and bulb life differences. I based what I wanted to buy upon the contrast ratio, the quality of the product, and all the consumer reviews from each of the products. I'm not a millionaire, so what I buy must last, even if it is used. I know I'll have to buy bulbs yeah, but this came with a free bulb, and bulb that is currently in it reports 1908 hrs on it. The picture looks sharp, clear and clean. Blacks really are black, the brightness is brighter than expected even with my uncontrolled lighted living room. You can watch this in well lit rooms, I have 6 32w fluorescent bulbs and it still looks great to me! However, I use my regular tube for regular TV and my daughters cartoons and save the BIG SCREEN for awesome movie viewing! I think my screen is a 1.1, anything above 1.3 is supposed to be a bit distracting so I read, but that also depends on so many different circumstances. As for my circumstance, I looked for a 1.0 and 1.1. I'm using component connections coming from my receiver, however the inputs are vast enough for any consumer. S-Video, your regular Yellow RCA, and 2 component inputs and something about progressive component within the same inputs A & B. I would recommend this to any who are weary of the ANSI Lumen output to be a problem, and I know the Contrast Ratio is not listed anywhere, and I still can't find it, but it too is way better than expected!! I'll be honest, that was pretty much all I worried about, since it wasn't posted anywhere, however the reviews assured me that I would be happy, and indeed I AM! You can walk up to the screen and basically see each and every little digitally colored square upon my screen, I have good eyes. Plenty of MENU options to customize, and digit keystoning, and the fan noise?? Haven't heard it yet, and the projector is currently sitting right in front of me. It's quiet! Once again I bought this used, for nearly a 10th of the price, and 1908hrs and I'm truly amazed! If you're looking used, get this one. If you're a new buyer, you'll love this I assure you, read all the reviews you can, you'll find them all VERY helpful! I know I'm probably leaving many details out, but for 9 years old and nearly 2000hrs on bulb, (no idea how long it lasts) I'm more than satisfied with my purchase, and expect to be happy for many years to come.

Submitted by gootim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
We starting building our dedicated theater in Nov 2001. During the early phases of construction we researched projectors. From CRT, DLP, to LCD. The 10HT was the best picture in the 3k-6k price range.
Picutue quality is outstanding. The blacks are black and the resolution is great. I have read tons of reviews on this projector and most have something to say about the black levels. They are the best I have seen in the price range. This projector did a better job than Sharp's new DLP.
Married with a progressive DVD player this projector is at its best. The ability of this projector to process anything you throw at it is just outstanding. The internal upscaling makes your external video processors unnescessary. I haven't seen the 11HT yet and have not read many reviews but I can't imagine must requirement to improve on the 10HT. Just a great product for the dedicated HT buffs like us. We opened our dedicated theater on Dec 7, 2002 with a double feature of Spiderman and StarWars II - Attack of the Clones. Everyone's first impression was Awe with the picture size, brighness, contrast, and color. Since then we have been showing off our 10HT every chance we get...yeah even Monday night football looks great at approximately 9.5ft x 6ft
Anyone looking to a projector below 6k should find this projector.

Purchased At:   projectorpeople.com

Submitted by kelly sandlin a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
first thing is. this is the best move/dvd veiwing i have ever seen. color is great. picture is better then CRT DLP and old lcd i have one dead pixel. that you can not see unless you are on a black screen 3 foot away. TRUST ME. 10 dead pixels and you would never see thim on any move.;

Purchased At:   www avmall .com

Submitted by SirReal a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
Simply a great piece of hardware. I haven't seen any projector that can measure up to its quality at the price. The colour and contrast is great, and can be even greater when tweaked with a colour temperature instrument through the service and factory menus.

Submitted by Jimmy L a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
I only had the projector for a little while and it is only set up on my basement wall ( white flat surface 5.5ft x 9ft)
I am quite happy with the result already, I am looking for a proper screen and it is a nightmare to fine one here in Canada. Not to many product sample available with this projector set up. I am anxious to get my cinema ready with proper and darker wall color and view my first real movie on a big screen (110" or 120" 16x9 format)
I had read a lot praise about this unit. I have to say that mine was a store demo it had already several hours on it and there is not green coloration or dead pixel as many of you have experienced.
For the price I paid I would encoruage any one to get one or spent the extra $$ on the newer version. But for 4K you can buy some good progressive DVD palyer with a 3:2 pulldown. Everything is how much can you spend... !!!

I will come back and give another opinion aft a proper set up. I am alos looking into this Home PC cinema. I think it is a good way to go. Let the computer control most of it. But if you are not into computer this projector will satisfy most of you. The line doubler is not bad, I have wacth regular Betamax tape on it, however the color a bit washed, but no artifact. I am still using my former DVD player Sony DVPs7000, one of the best for its time and with this unit I haven't seen any distracting artifact appears.

Get one and enjoy.

I will give it 5 stars for value regarding its affordability. However its overall rating will fall because of its lack of black and tame coloration. Maybe I'm asking a lot from that projector. But yes it could be improved slightly. Like the 11HT should be. The decision is in your wallet.

Purchased At:   ABSound Canada