Sharp vision XUZW99U LCD Widescreen Projector Front Projectors

3.33/5 (6 Reviews)

LCD widescreen Projector DTV Ready

Submitted by kikosan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchased the projector on the suggestion of my neighborhood stereo installer. I had researched the unit online quite extensively. I liked the resolution (for the time) and the anamorphic capability. I also appreciated all of the connecions. The price point was aceptable, not too steep.

Submitted by Orestes Sanchez a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought the projector after reviewing all of the literature available on this projector and comparable units for the price. The projector was very easy to set up. I did not need the installer to help me. I even gave him tips for his next installation. The RGB input and component imputs are handy.

The problem came up at the 1500 hour mark. The replacement bulb cost $400 and did not work. I had it at the repair shop for more than a week. The ballast was defective and needed a whole new circuit board.

1500 hours later, it is back at the repair shop. The new bulb blew along with the internal fuse. I was told it may be the ballast again and this time it is not under warranty. Needless to say if the repair is more than $1000, the projector is going in the trash.

Following the first repair, the picture sucked. There were dropouts all over the screen and spots. I was told "tough" by the repairman because the projector cannot be kept clean from dust. I will never buy another Sharp LCD again.

Purchased At:   AVDesign

Submitted by Paolo Brandinu a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
The picture that this projector reproduce is very good. Is similar to a CRT image (naturally of the same range of price, like Seleco, vidicron and others). I use normally a image of 100". The screen must be of good quality and i use a gain of the surface of 1, 1,5. Screens with a hight gain produce an image too poor, in term of colour and contrast. The contrast set at default is low and i set nert to the max.
Don't set the brightness over the middle, because of the results isn't good. I loose the colour set at the default.
In my opinion, a problem of this projector is the sensibility to the dust in the air. After only 50 hours of use, the screen (with the blue screen is more evident) reveal the presence of little particle of dust in the optical system. Its'n a problem now, but i think that in future..... I opened the cover, but is very difficult to operate in this machine, because of the inner space is limitated. I think that the dust entered from the front of the optical.If anyone have the same problem wrote me and we find a solution.
Another problem is noise of fans.The only remedy is to place the projector far from viewers.

Purchased At:   jumbo store

Submitted by Geoff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2000

Bottom Line:
Very pleased with the performance, colors are great, with minimal bleeding. Every person who has seen the picture has been very impressed. Yes, you have to have a dark room, but you don't watch movies in broad daylight. Bottom line, don't buy this for everyday TV viewing.
Fan noise bothers me, why can't quieter fans be fitted?
My main bugbear is the dust that seems to migrate into the optics, causing blurred patches on the screen, anybody else have the same problem?

Purchased At:   Now! Audio Video

Submitted by Kory a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 18, 1999

Bottom Line:
Overall this is a pretty good projector but disappointing for its cost ($7999 MSRP). The light level dynamic range is low, meaning not very black blacks, not very white whites, and not much range in between. This results in a slightly muddy image though not as bad as VHS :) The colors can have plenty of saturation (I had to turn the red and blue down a bit from factory default).

The advantage of this projector is in the LARGE possible screen sizes, it will go up to 300", and best quality will be between 100" and 150". Note the minimum projection distance for a 100" 4:3 screen size is about 12 feet.

You're better off with a ceiling mount with this projector, and upside down also (so the intake fans are on top and not directing the noise right at the viewer/listener).

There is a built in line-doubler for all but the VGA input. It isn't really a resolution doubler but more of a de-interlacer, and it does a decent job. This unit will only take progressive scan video through the VGA input so if you want to view HDTV you better get a decoder box with RGB/VGA output.

You DO get the standard LCD "window screen" effect with this projector, but it isn't very noticeable if you just adjust the focus a teeny bit off or install a diffusion filter on the lens.

The 800x600 LCD panel (3 panels) resolution enables anamorphic material to be viewed at its full resolution since it will take the full 480 lines of vertical resolution and stretch it horizontally across the 800 lines to get the correct aspect ratio.

I bought mine for the component inputs, the 800x600 resolution, the flexibility over heavy CRT projectors and TVs, and the large image size. If you are in the same market I would suggest looking for a similar DLP projector first, you will probably end up with a better value and the same weight and flexibility of an LCD projector (though probably no component inputs but they're not that much better than S-video). DLP will have the same problem with grayish blacks, but will be closer to film (even film doesn't have pure black) and it won't have the window screen effect (though it will still have the super sharp square pixels).

Some day we will be able to get cheap (1500 lumens, light weight, good blacks, and all the types of inputs we need (RGB, YPbPr, 1394, etc.), but until then we are stuck with the so-so $3000-8000 projectors and the good $30000 Runco projectors.

If this projector cost $2000 I would give it a 5 star value, but it don't, so I won't.

Award-Winning Axiom: