Sanyo PLV-Z1 Front Projectors

Widescreen 1/4 HD (964 x 544) Home Theater Projector, 700 ANSI Lumens, 7.5 lbs (3.4 kg)

Submitted by tsunamiatx a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchase this projector recently and have been reading lots of reviews. I've tested the Infocus X1 and found the picture to be very fuzzy, almost blurry. I thought I would get a similar picture from the PLV z1. Was I suprised. Like most reviews I read, first impression, WOW! though color did seem a little on the green side. This was fixed by lowering the lamp power and the Gamma setting 2 notches. They were the only settings I've messed with so far. It made the colors just jump right at you. My wife who doesn't like home theater. I know, I know! gave the comment the color is fantastic! And for the money I don't think you can beat this projector.

Purchased At:   Audio General

Submitted by BJ6969 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
The 966 x 544 resolution of this machine combined with the 700 lumen brightness, first led me to drop it from my short list, till I saw it in action! The Sanyo outperforms its specs by a long margin. With ambient light controlled this projector delivers a stunning image, even at large screen sizes (I use a 124" diagonal 16:9 screen). It also delivers a more than acceptable image under low-medium light conditions. Screen door is not very apparent. 16:9 is handled superbly and 2.35:1 (24:10) is easily accommodated. The "normal" image setting retains the original 4:3 image heigth, allowing you to use a 16:9 screen for DVD and TV signals without having to touch the projector or screen except for switching from "full" to "normal" mode. Piping 4:3 images in "full" mode produces acceptable distortion while filling the 16:9 screen.
This machine is excetionally easy to setup and operate, needing no adjustment once initially installed. The lens shift adjustment feature is great, meaning no digital keystone correction is needed as long as the projector lens is in line with or inside the top/bottom screen edge. The only drawback here is that mounting the projector in a coffee table is inconvient since it needs to be quite high.
A great buy for dedicated HT, don't bother using as a business machine in a bright room.

Purchased At:   AudioGeneral .com

Submitted by Marshall Douglas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
I still can't believe the quality at this price! The more I watch it, the more I like it. I've been researching projectors for probably a year and finally purchased the Sanyo from Studio Experience,(their version is the 1HD). The only projectors I've seen in my area we're $6000+ and was told I had to spend at least that much to be happy with the picture quality. So being told that, I was waiting until I could afford one in that price range. That is until I spoke with Chad at Studio Experience. He suggested this projector first and I could swap it out if I didn't like it. Being only $1600, I really had nothing to lose. I really thought I wouldn't like it...BOY WAS I WRONG! I believe the Z1 is comparable to projectors 3X the price. The colors and black levels are excellent. The menu is very user friendly and it's a snap to set up. I'm using it on a 96"D Dalite screen with a ceiling mount. The onboard scaler is very good also. I watch alot of DirecTV and DVDs. I can't see any difference between the Fouroudja scaler in my DVD player and the scaler on the Z1. Some tv programs are a little grainy during the day, but prime time and sporting events are fine to watch. And there's NO problem with the light output, even in the power saver and cinema modes. If you're looking to upgrade your tv set, try this projector, you won't be disappointed. Why pay $3000+ for a "Big Screen" TV set for 60" when you can get 100"+ for $1500.

Purchased At:   Studio Experience

Submitted by Richard Morales a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is one heck of a home thater projector. I purchased it in December, 2002 based on the recomendation in avsforum.com and projectorcentral.com's reviews. It is small, powerful and the price is astounding. It makes home theater a reality for most homes.

Sennheiser: