Infocus X1 Front Projectors

3.63/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $918.00

• ProjectorManager™ software — for easy operation from your computer
  • Versatile applications — carry it from room to room, put it on a cart, or mount it on the ceiling
  • Active monitor loop-through — view your computer monitor even when the projector is off Flexible image placement — even in small rooms, images fit the screen perfectly
  • Great return on investment — it pays for itself in less than one year
  • Abundant connections — plug it into your computer, VCR, DVD, or digital camera

Submitted by manuelpg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2004

Bottom Line:
For what I paid, I think the X1 is the best value in front projectors. The only misgiving I have is bulb life but only time will tell.

I originally used a Sony DVD player as my video source and was impressed but not overwhelmed. So, I built a dedicated HTPC and now I use it as my DVD player, HDTV/TV tuner and video scalar. I use the X1 in 16:9 mode on a 16:9, 100" screen.

In 16:9 mode, the X1 scales a 4:3 image to 16:9. So, I set my HTPC to display a desktop of 1024x768 and the X1 scales it so that it fits the screen perfectly. The image quality of the desktop is acceptable and allows me to surf the web and that's about it but my main purpose is video.

Video is where the X1/HTPC combination excels. The HTPC performs all the video scaling in the digital domain. I am using WinDVD for full-screen, anamorphic DVD playback at 1024x768 and the video quality on the screen is simply stunning. My seating position is 15 feet from the screen and I swear it is like watching a movie at the theater at similarly scaled distances. I think the high resolution video signal from my HTPC really brings out the performance of the X1.

Purchased At:   tigerdirect.com

Submitted by duderduderini a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2004

Bottom Line:
The X1 is for the money a fantastic projector BUT BUT BUT my bulb failed at 494 hours and the importer says that u should clean the filters and basically cover the unit wen not in use.. suffice to say i have been ripped off as the warranty is 3 months or 500 hours. READ THE FINE PRINT and Bulbs in Australia are 1/2 the cost of the projector. I feel RIPPED OFF
DONT buy Infocus products as they claim outlandish bulb life and dont stand by their product. I have left an email with Infocus HQ and Aust importer twicw now.. NO REPLY BUY ANOTHER BRAND

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Electroboard

Submitted by danrogy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2004

Bottom Line:
Great projector, great baragin. NOT READY TO REPLACE A REGULAR TV!!!! I thought it'd be nice to have a 100 inch screen for 800 bucks. It really would've been nice if I had a windowless movie-only room. I don't.

Purchased At:   best buy

Submitted by VIguy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2004

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a decent projector at a resonable price this is a very good choice indeed. I've looked at projectors 4 & 5 times the cost and true they were better but not by very much, certainly not enough to warrant the price difference. The other important issue was bulb life. Bulbs are expensive, and this projectors bulb is rated for 3000 hours while other projectors of a higher cost were rated for around a thousand hours. The reason I bought this projector is simple, good performance at a price that was significantly lower than it's competitors and a longer life rating on the expensive bulb.
Make sure you get the adapter that allows you to input progressive scan for DVD's rather than using the modified S-VHS adapter that comes with the unit. The S-VHS input only allows an interlaced signal and with the adapter for use in the computer in port you can run component cable from your DVD player to the projector and thus be able to use your superior progressive scan signal from your DVD player. I use a Denon 2900 player and I'm very pleased with the picture given the price of the projector.
Another tip if you are to buy this projector, there is an excellent resource on the web for owners of this unit. http://members.shaw.ca/technut/x1faq/ You can find all sorts of helpful information there. If this link doesn't work type in InFocus X1 Faq and you can find it that way.
I also made my screen rather than spending the $1000 and up Canadian to buy one. Very simple to do, here's a helpful link http://members.shaw.ca/danhanson/Theatre/screen/screenproject.htm
As the link suggests I used black out cloth and it works very well. I made a 52.5 inch X 70 inch screen for about $55.00 Canadian. I also built my projector mount by using a ball joint wall speaker mount. They are sold at hi-fi stores to allow you to mount your rear channel speakers to the wall. I purchased a set of really nice ones for around $60. You only need one to mount the projector but they are sold in pairs. I simply used a flat piece of steel as the mounting plates, and then sandwiched between those mounting plates I bolted the ball joint speaker mount which allows me to make just about any adjustment that is needed to the projectors position once mounted to the ceiling. If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me and I'm happy to help.

Purchased At:   Staples Business Dep

Submitted by Johnny a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2004

Bottom Line:
Best bang for your buck (Jan 2004)when primarly watching 480i TV or DVDs. The picture quality looks stunning for its' price range. HDTV looks great but will be downconverted to the X1's native resolution. Still a very enjoyable experience all the way around. Just buy it!

Purchased At:   Dell.com

forsale brandnew ETENglofiish V900 & SonyEricssonXPERIA X1 unlocked,PS3@promoRate.

IT BONANZA ! BONANZA!! BONANZA !!! A XMAS AND NEW YEAR BONANZA ELECTROBASE LIMITED OFFER THE PROMO OF BUY 2 GET 1FREE !!! Contact Name: Mr : Fred Terry E-Mail: [email]electrobaselimited@yahoo.com[/email] ELECTROBASE LIMITED is a recognized distributer of various consumer electronics and ... Read More »

Can Kenwood KC-X1 Pass Thru Audio Without Equalization?

I have a Panasonic Blu-Ray DMP-BD55K DVD player which decodes Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio and DTS-HD Master Audio Advanced. Is it possible to have my Kenwood KC-X1 preamp simply pass through the DTS-HD audio without subjecting it to equalizatio ... Read More »

need help deciding - Denon S-301/S-101, Sony DAV-X1, Bose 321 GS

Hi, I need help deciding on a home set-up. I have an old crappy Panasonic DVD and 5-speaker surround sound HTS (it doesn't even have component video output) and want something better. My old trustworthy audio system is just too big for my current space, and my husband *strongly* prefers minimal cl ... Read More »

CSB 1206 BLK: