DVDO iScan Plus Front Projectors

4.67/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $699.00

External Line Doubler utilizing DVDO's "PureProgressive" image enhancement technology that provides 3:2 pulldown detection

Submitted by cookedcorncob a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2010

Bottom Line:
This review is actually for the v2. The build construction may seem cheap and poorly beat but let me just say that this thing can take a beating. I actually picked my up at a flea market auction with a box of other goodies that was thrown, tossed, and kicked around pretty good and was sitting outside with the dew and it still works great. It has a nice heavy duty body and even though the print on the face plate is just paint it seems to hold up pretty well at least in my case. I loved getting this thing because I have a small entertainment center that I use as my tv and computer center and with this I could use my computer monitor as the tv just by using a VGA A/B switch. Now I know it would be much cheaper to just get a tv tuner for my computer which I have tried but the picture quality is just no match at all this thing puts out beautiful picture quality. I use it for dvd's, xbox, cable and anything else that runs on svideo or RCA. A nice feature is that if it doesn't recieve any signal it will go into a standby mode which in turn puts my monitor into standby saving on power. The only thing that kind of worries me is that it gets a little warm when in use and doesn't have any vents on it to vent the heat. Other than that its great I love it and wouldn't want to get rid of it.

Submitted by Martin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
I purchased Dvdo unit after being extremely dissatisfied with picture quality on broadcast signals using internal line doubler on Sony 36xbr400. Picture was extremely pixelated especially on sporting events. On dvd however
Sony's digital reality creation(DRC) worked extremely well.
My first impression was that construction quality was not great. Screen printed lettering on front face was terrible
I know because we make network modem faceplates and crap like this would never go out the door. The plugs in the back don't line up with case especially well. I'm speaking only of the particular unit that I have, your observations may be different. Ok, enough ranting. When I first tried
it I popped "Toy Story 2" in dvd player. Picture was definitely softer than with DRC. At first I was disappointed , but then watching broadcast tv all pixelation was gone and picture looked much clearer. After using unit for about 3 months now I couldn't be happier. The
initial misgivings that I had regarding slightly soft picture on dvd are gone. My conclusion is that picture with DRC was unnaturally harsh. Even my wife comments on clarity of picture and she normally doesn't notice such things. I
think your results will vary depending on your particular setup but this unit is certainly worth a demo.

Submitted by Phuong Ung a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is a review of DVDO V2. I had tried the DVDO version 1 already and it did not have the picture mode for 16x9 TV. The DVDO V2 does have a picture modes for 16x9, one to fill the screen (however the picture look shorter) and another is regular format (so you will see 2 black bars on 2 sides). However, in the fill mode, if you adjust your DVD to 16x9 mode, you got the right format for 16x9. I wish it has 1 more picture mode to expand to have the correct ratio picture.
Anyway, back to the review ... All I can say is "WOW", my super VHS VCR picture is just like DVD progressive scan and off course, the DVD picture is like progressive scan DVD, too. I have tried the Toshiba SD9100 and the picture quality was not that much different. The only difference is the color. The DVDO V2 gives the picture more red; therefore, all you have to do to adjust the TINT to have more yello and the picture just amagine.
I also have tried the S-video and composite video fro my Super SVH VCR, but don't see any different. Properly my cables were too good (I'm using Tributaries S-video and composite) ....
Well, this is my system
TV: Mit 65905
Receiver: Denon AVR4800 (used to use Marantz AV9000 with 2 Adcom amps GFA5802 and GFA5503)
DVD: Onkyo DVM301 (will try Denon DVM3700 also)
DSS: RCA DTC 100
Speaker: Klipsh KSP400 whole package.
Cables: Tributaries
Speaker cable: First Row (great cable)
Line condutioner: Monster 5000

Purchased At:   EBAY Vendor

Submitted by Alex M a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
I've purchased Sanyo entry-level projector last year
with decent colors, brightness. But stupid horizontal lines from videosources were way too visible.
At the beginning of this year I've got Theta Casa Nova AV processor without video-switching board in it. First of all even of high quality this board may create additional high frequency noise (Bryston is not using it for this reason). Second thing it costs extra $400. So I've spent $550 buying DVDo and I have video switching for 3 sources (coax input - VCR, 1 S-Vide0 - dvd, other S-video can be used for satellite TV) plus I don't see horizontal lines anymore.
Picture is better not day/night difference though and probably as a result of additional digital processing it's less 'quiet' than before but I was watching with interest all my movies again. Btw video source is Panasonic A320 model.
I think that with configuration similar to mine you can benefit from DVDO in other cases the decision to buy this unit or not isn't very obvious 'cause at this price it's possible to get let's say Toshiba DVD player w/progressive scan module build-in.
Anyways I understand that there are other better more expensive doublers but for the money DVDo is a good value.

Purchased At:   galelectronics.com

Submitted by Mikey a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
I fell in love with the DVDO as soon as I saw it. Actually when the salesguy told me I can use it with reg. cable I was sold. I ended up getting a digital broadcast system (LOOK) so I could have a digial feed and a s-video connection. Otherwise I would have had to put the reg. cable feed through a VCR. My system does not have a VCR and no room or desire for one.

It also saved me money when buying the DVD player (the reason I went in the store in the first place). I got a reg player instead of a progressive scan player. The DVDO is amazing when hooked up to the DVDO. I have a Proscan 32800HR.

The only problem I had was I couldn't use the yr-pr-b(??)/RGB switch. The lever was hitting the back of the casing. So i had to unscrew the back and put it back on assuring it was no blocking the switch. For the money they could have bulit it a little better. Plus it stays warm all the time. I hope it doesn't shorten it's life.

Apart from that I love it. If you've got the right TV buy the DVDO!!!

Mikey :)-