Mitsubishi WT-42315 Rear Projection

• Progressive scanning
  • 8 Format Modes

Submitted by sactohye a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2005

Bottom Line:
I prefer CRT-based TVs because of their better picture quality over plasma and LCD. In addition, they are much less expensive. The Mitsubishi WT-42315 has very good picture quality even when viewing DVDs. It’s fed by an LG LST-3510A combination DTV Receiver and DVD Player via the DVI interface. The LG up converts the DVD signal to 1081i.

High Definition broadcasts are clear and sharp on this monitor, especially broadcasts which are either on video tape or live. Even film-based programming looks sharp and with no grain.

This TV has two NTSC tuners which I don’t use. Since I have a surround sound system, I don’t use the TV’s internal loudspeakers, which are just two 5” drivers. The drivers in my center channel loudspeaker are larger. The TV’s internal sound system is only good for watching news broadcasts or other “talking head” programs. Then again, the sound systems in most TVs are no better. I wish they made one without the sound system and the tuners.

One feature of this TV, which was a factor in buying it, is that there is room on top to put a fairly large center channel loudspeaker. In my case, a B&W LCR600 S3 sits on top.

One oddity I have noticed is that the right side of the screen is slightly out of convergence when first powered on. After the TV warms up for 20 minutes or so, it comes back into convergence. I emailed Mitsubishi about this and was told that this is normal. Seems strange to me.

The jack panel is on the right side on this TV. While that makes it easy to connect cables to it, it means that some of the cables are visible. A rear-mounted jack panel would have been preferred.

I don’t use the TV’s remote control since I programmed all its codes into my Marantz RC2000 Mk 2 remote.

Complete system (most reviewed):