Mitsubishi WS-65813 Rear Projection

• 64-Pt. Convergence Adjustment
  • HxWxD: 61-7/8in. x 58-5/8in. x 28-1/4in., 251lbs

Submitted by Heath Jones a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2010

Bottom Line:
Owned the TV for 5 years now. It has had reliability issues, but luckily I found an online forum with guides on how to do the repairs myself. It was no easy task. I had to take the TV apart and do some soldering, but as a result of doing it myself the total upkeep has only cost me about $100. On to the TV!

So this is just about the best CRT projection TV ever made, but it does have two notable problems besides unreliability: inaccurate color and excessive overscan - and neither is easy to fix. The color problem is not that noticeable to most, but for the picky ones like me it is bothersome. It took a lot of online research, special materials (a specific light bulb, a cheap homemade color comparator, a calibration DVD) and repeated attempts to finally correct it. The overscan issue was even more difficult. You can't simply adjust the image boundaries and geometry (no easy task in itself) through the service menu without introducing moire effects (squiggly lines that appear when you "squish" the picture). To get rid of the moire effects I had to defocus the picture slightly using the adjustment knobs behind the front panel, which meant making a trade-off between picture detail and seeing more of the image. And afterward I had to recalibrate the color all over again because adjusting focus threw it off, which is a major hassle since every input on the TV has its own color settings and needs to be calibrated individually. You can't just use the same settings for each input. Altogether I've probably spent over 40 hours doing repairs and picture calibration on my set.

The result of all this hard work is a stunning picture, more lifelike than than any other TV I've seen, except perhaps one: the Pioneer Elite RPTV it replaced. I bought the Elite the year before the Mits, and though it too had its share of problems (reliability chief among them) it had absolutely perfect color right out of the box. It took me 3 years before I'd learned enough and practiced enough the get the Mitsubishi's color close to what the Pioneer's had been. G-damnit I did it though!

So this thing has cost me a lot of money and a lot of sweat, but it's been worth it to me. I've made fewer compromises when it comes to image quality than just about anyone, regardless of TV type. My TV is 6 years old and still has brightness to spare, and because it's CRT-based it still has major advantages over every modern TV technology: no blurring during fast motion, better color, and deeper blacks than all but the best flat panels. Whether it's playing games or watching movies or HDTV this TV is still hard to beat. Back in 2004 it was the best bigscreen TV in the world. In 2010 it's still a contender.

Submitted by JakJericho a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2005

Bottom Line:
The Mitsu 65813 is the flagship of all the dinosaur HD RPTV's regardless of brand. This TV has the sleekest look on the outside, and backs it up with all the quality I demanded inside. The Hi Def images from my Scientific Atlanta HD8300 cable box are amazing. Deep blacks and astounding colors that I can individualy set in the advanced on screen menu. The multipoint self calibration is easy and accurate. It is 65 inches of A/V heaven. Even though Plasma, LCD, LCOS, and even DLP have been huge lately, none compare with the amazing picture from my Mitsubishi. There are none of the flaws that come with the newer technologies. None can match the color, the inky blacks, or the ease with which the screen handles fast moving images. DVD's look nearly as good despite the 480p lines they provide. At the time I bought this TV, (04-2004), it had just been released and cost $5000.00 and I don't regret one cent of it (even with the nice technologies that have emerged since). I love this television! My friends and family are blown away by the size and quality of the picture. Second Superbowl party coming up!

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by pbmax542 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2005

Bottom Line:
This is the best RPTV on the market, and I am not alone in believing this. Go to avsforum.com and look at all of the paise on this set. CRT currently offers the best PQ of all the different technologies, and this is the best CRT RPTV you can get. It's 9 inch guns blow the compeditors out of the water. The Pioneer Elite sets can't touch this baby. I have never seen a more lifelike image on a TV before. It has deep inky blacks, and bright accurate colors. DLP, LCD, LcOS, and plasma are miles away from producing this quailty of a picture. Don't believe the hype. The salesmen are trained to push the newer techs. If you are interested in the best, don't look any further. I have had this set for a year now, and it still impresses me. It may cost a little more than the average CRT, but it is a price worth paying.

Purchased At:   ultimate electronics