Mitsubishi WS-55311 Rear Projection

3.4/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $2399.95

Submitted by Ty Carpenter a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought the WS-55411 as my first widescreen. My picture is good when I watch dvds and the upper channels on digital cable. I have to say that the set up in the store is much better than mine at home. I have another big-screen in my bedroom that I bought years ago that has a better picture than this one. One day, 4 months after I got it, I was watching the WS-55411 and the picture went out. I have sound but a completely black screen. A couple of days later it came back on. 2 months later it comes and goes. I have not been able to get any help with this problem.

Purchased At:   Conn's

Submitted by skypilot68 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
My 25" Fisher color tv had been very dependable for the past fifteen years but it was time to make the BIG plunge into the widescreen market. I think too I was waiting for prices to drop and to see if HDTV really was here to stay. My wife and I had a plan to visit several stores in our area to compare prices and models. Our first stop was Sears and it turned out to be our only stop. After looking over rows of different sizes and models we settled on the Mitsubishi WS-55311. They(Sears) had just got in some new plasma's but prices are still too high for my taste. Included was a free DVD player (which I upgraded to a Sony progressive scan), they also included free delivery after a rebate and no interest for 12 months...what a deal. Plenty of hookups in the back and front to satisfy an electronic junkie. Picture quality is stunning and the sound even thru the lower encased speakers is pretty damn good too. My first movie was Saving Private Ryan and menu controls are pretty straightforward to operate. The ability to wheel it around by yourself is a big plus too. Warnings about burning in images on the screen surprised me, maybe later on this can be solved. Went with a three-year extended warranty, which includes a yearly housecall. If I get another fifteen years out of this one like my old Fisher I'll be quite satisfied.

Price Paid:    $2050.00

Purchased At:   Sears

Submitted by integra-sparks a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
First set delivered had major fault, replacement delivered with no argument 3 days later (dealer would have delivered sooner!)

The new set is simply awesome, crisp throughout with or without progressive scan.

Purchased At:   ABC

Submitted by Steve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
Good set. DVD picture is very good. Satellite picture is OK, great on some channels, not so good on others. Not sure if this a function of the TV or the satellite receiver? Use it for gamming (X-box) and have been worried about burn in, but nothing yet. Between me and my son I guess we play about 2hours per day. On the weekend the set is on almost all day, picture quality does not fade. Most sales rep at various store gave mitzu good reviews.

Purchased At:   Sound Trac

Submitted by scuba_steve30 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have had this TV in my living room for 3 months and now there are channel logos burned into the screen. I have paid attention to how long I view channels that contain static images (station ID logos, video game images). And now the station ID logos are burned into my screen even though I did not view those channels for more than 15% of my total viewing time. Now none of the authorized repair shops in my area will even come out to look at the TV. Fine, called Mitsubishi Consumer Relations... their reply, sorry not covered, not even after only three months. They wont even entertain the possibility that this unit may be defective. I am going to have to take Mitsubishi to court to get any satisfaction. The representative from consumer relations said its not their problem because they have no control over this, well if thats the case they should not sell technology that is unsound. I waited ten years to buy a set like this, and this has been the most disappointing purchase I have ever made in my entire life.

Purchased At:   Best Buy